What is your biggest challenge with being an autistic adult?

I am an occupational therapist who works with autistic teens and young adults. I am curious- what is the biggest challenge autistic teens and young adults face as they transition to adulthood? Is it the fear of being lonely? Employment? Succeeding in college? Being accepted by others and making friends?

Parents
  • Talking to other people. Feeling stupid when you say something abit off the wall. Embaressment when you have no idea what others were talking about. Not being in the loop with conversation. Not feeling worthy enough to have friends or deserving them. No confidence then to actually talk or express yourself. Takes years to overcome that if undiagnosed. Everyone is different but they were my main struggles. Basically communicating with other people lol

• I feel that no one is listening to me when I am upset and that how I felt when I was in college and I wish I have some real friends so I can be happy

• It's very upsetting when no one listens. I found it difficult to express or even know what was upsetting me. 

I also found alot of 'friends' were merely just people i spent time with and found the experience quite hard. The majority were quite self involved and superficial or just involved drinking alcohol. A true friend is very rare and even they come and go but there are people out there.

Im quite happy with my own company but get what you mean 100%. It's just the picture.of what friendship in my head is different from what i've experienced in my life. 

Im sure someone will come into your life when you least expect it.

• I gave up trying to find a boyfriend/husband a long time ago - at 53 now, I just don’t want to be that kind of gold star gay that is lusting after twinks and gets called a chicken hawk 

Reply Children
No Data