What is your biggest challenge with being an autistic adult?

I am an occupational therapist who works with autistic teens and young adults. I am curious- what is the biggest challenge autistic teens and young adults face as they transition to adulthood? Is it the fear of being lonely? Employment? Succeeding in college? Being accepted by others and making friends?

Parents
  • A complete inability to adopt fashions or popular culture. It just felt too uncomfortable to me to wear anything stylish or be interested in any music that wasn't very niche/geeky. To illustrate this, I recently saw a photo of me and two friends, who I am still in touch with, when we were about 17, they look like Starsky and Hutch and I look like a teenage David Mitchell.

• When I was young it was only "straights" that were into main stream fashion and music, all the cool people were into alternative music and clothes.

• I never had the confidence to dress for attention, I just wanted to not stand out - though I probably did in the wrong way. I was into Yes, Genesis and Pink Floyd, it did not give you much common ground with the opposite sex. At 17, Punk and New Wave was happening, I couldn't understand it. I even had a cousin who was friends with a member of the Buzzcocks, and was invited to gigs, but never went.

• I think that if you identify with a subculture that has a particular 'look' and dress in that style, you have a certain amount of confidence, confidence I entirely lacked. I just wanted to appear unremarkable in any way, not to stand out. I think a lot of autistics spend a great deal of energy trying not to attract attention, because so much of the attention we get is negative.

• I think that if you identify with a subculture that has a particular 'look' and dress in that style, you have a certain amount of confidence, confidence I entirely lacked. I just wanted to appear unremarkable in any way, not to stand out. I think a lot of autistics spend a great deal of energy trying not to attract attention, because so much of the attention we get is negative.

Children
No Data