What is your biggest challenge with being an autistic adult?

I am an occupational therapist who works with autistic teens and young adults. I am curious- what is the biggest challenge autistic teens and young adults face as they transition to adulthood? Is it the fear of being lonely? Employment? Succeeding in college? Being accepted by others and making friends?

Parents
  • I can say from perspective of time there were few challenges for me: desperately wanting to belong somewhere, to be a part of a group but not being able to, I had no idea why and endlessly asked myself the question “why” and “what’s wrong with me”. “Why it’s always me hearing that I behaves inappropriately”. I have always felt like not fully grown up because of my issues with emotional regulation and sensory sensitivities, because of my issues with not being able to be like others. I thought of myself that I’m the only weirdo in this world. I was terribly frustrated a d ashamed of my frequent meltdowns, never understood and I also didn’t understand myself. It would be much easier for me if I knew back then. I guess. Also jobs were challenging. Applying to dozens of offers and always getting only jobs like McDonald’s, call center or cashier in supermarkets, not being able to hold the jobs for long because I was not a good fit. Not looking the customers in the eyes, being too shy, too quiet, too weird, too slow or confused by too much information or overstimulated. The longest I worked in McDonald’s, 4 years because I was absolutely desperate and they somehow put up with me being weird because they were also desperate. Now I have a job that I finally like. I’m only worried that they do t like me. Because some of them, especially ladies give me strange looks. I have no idea what they may think but I feel their gazes on me. The good thing is that I work mostly with guys in the warehouse and some of them seem to be aspies too. So I do t need high communication and social skills there, my attention to details gives me much more points. I hope I will hold down this job. I heard very few times, that Its actually worth know me 

• I can say from perspective of time there were few challenges for me: desperately wanting to belong somewhere, to be a part of a group but not being able to, I had no idea why and endlessly asked myself the question “why” and “what’s wrong with me”. “Why it’s always me hearing that I behaves inappropriately”. I have always felt like not fully grown up because of my issues with emotional regulation and sensory sensitivities, because of my issues with not being able to be like others. I thought of myself that I’m the only weirdo in this world. I was terribly frustrated a d ashamed of my frequent meltdowns, never understood and I also didn’t understand myself. It would be much easier for me if I knew back then. I guess. Also jobs were challenging. Applying to dozens of offers and always getting only jobs like McDonald’s, call center or cashier in supermarkets, not being able to hold the jobs for long because I was not a good fit. Not looking the customers in the eyes, being too shy, too quiet, too weird, too slow or confused by too much information or overstimulated. The longest I worked in McDonald’s, 4 years because I was absolutely desperate and they somehow put up with me being weird because they were also desperate. Now I have a job that I finally like. I’m only worried that they do t like me. Because some of them, especially ladies give me strange looks. I have no idea what they may think but I feel their gazes on me. The good thing is that I work mostly with guys in the warehouse and some of them seem to be aspies too. So I do t need high communication and social skills there, my attention to details gives me much more points. I hope I will hold down this job. I heard very few times, that Its actually worth know me 

Children
No Data