This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Rubbish response

I've recently been diagnosed as autistic and it's been an up and down experience since I found out for sure even though I was certain myself before it was official. I'm a man with kids of my own but I thought I'd share the news with my parents to let them know why I've struggled in life but all I got was ' oh right at least you know, how are the kids?.' These people have been less then supportive throughout my whole life and that's putting it mildly. Should I just cut them off now because I was never happier then when I didn't speak to them for years.

Parents
  • Hi Bearded blue

I hope you will come back and read this. I understand how you feel - I had to stop seeing family members years before I even knew I was autistic, to prevent myself from being miserable. We're not always born into our true family, sometimes we spend years looking for them. I'm so lucky that I have a partner that I can trust implicitly, and it's just the two of us now, but we're happy. You have to work out what is going to make you happy, and I wish you well.

• Hi Bearded blue

I hope you will come back and read this. I understand how you feel - I had to stop seeing family members years before I even knew I was autistic, to prevent myself from being miserable. We're not always born into our true family, sometimes we spend years looking for them. I'm so lucky that I have a partner that I can trust implicitly, and it's just the two of us now, but we're happy. You have to work out what is going to make you happy, and I wish you well.

Children
  • Thankyou so much for this comment.its true other people don't understand what happens in our lives and maybe I shouldn't expect them too as I don't understand their troubles. I do appreciate the words of support though.