Shared work load

Why does it seem that women do the majority of the work in relationships? It seems that we do the childcare, the housework, the emotional work of keeping everyone happy-ish, be the appointments and social secretary's, the shoppers and cooks and have full time jobs? It's not just me that thinks this, many studies show the same thing. I've met so many women who feel that they don't have a partner, but an extra child, this often lead to the breakdown of the relationship.

Its starting to make me think that all hetrosexual relationships are inherently abusive, I can't speak for same sex ones as I've never had one.

I know I'm going to get flak for this post, but I'm going for it anyway. I'd love to hear from people who have successfull relationships and what they're secrets are, not that I want another relationship, I'm just curious.

Parents
  • I think it depends on the household and growing up, circumstances, lots of factors. 
    My parents are a lot like this: my dad works long hours, whilst my mum works part-time and then does a lot of household tasks, chores, general house admin. 
    BIt would seem "gender role conforming" just knowing that info, but it misses out a lot of context on this "setup". My mum has BPD and can't work full-time, so works part-time. My dad suggested this so she can prioritise her mental health, which she would not have been able to do if my dad didn't work full-time on the pay he gets. 

Naturally, my mum is in the house more and does the chores as she is the one available to do it, whilst my dad picks up any other chores in evenings once he finishes work. 

Their relationship is built on support, treating it as being a team. It's not perfect, but it's prioritised me and my brother, and I think we turned out ok. :-) 

• I think it depends on the household and growing up, circumstances, lots of factors. 
    My parents are a lot like this: my dad works long hours, whilst my mum works part-time and then does a lot of household tasks, chores, general house admin. 
    BIt would seem "gender role conforming" just knowing that info, but it misses out a lot of context on this "setup". My mum has BPD and can't work full-time, so works part-time. My dad suggested this so she can prioritise her mental health, which she would not have been able to do if my dad didn't work full-time on the pay he gets. 

Naturally, my mum is in the house more and does the chores as she is the one available to do it, whilst my dad picks up any other chores in evenings once he finishes work. 

Their relationship is built on support, treating it as being a team. It's not perfect, but it's prioritised me and my brother, and I think we turned out ok. :-) 

Children
No Data