Feelings

Does anyone here struggle to understand how they feel? 

I'm recently diagnosed, and since knowing that I'm autistic, I feel as though the symptoms of it are much clearer to me now. I know that I'm feeling either bad or good, but I can't necessarily pin point the reason why or the specific emotion attached to. Its as though I've gone through so many difficult times (not trauma or a specific bad event, just bad memories) that everything seems to trigger some emotions which are negative. It's extremely frustrating because it puts my day off massively, and no one can comfort me because I either don't tell them, or I can't even tell them what's wrong. 

Parents Reply Children
  • I don't agree with a lot of it. I don't see the following as emotions:

Perhaps this vairant of the wheel will more closely tie in with your mind

There are other variants and it helps to find one you can attune to.

• Thank you for the information Iain, that's interesting. However it  does makes me feel one emotion - annoyed, because I don't agree with a lot of it. I don't see the following as emotions:

Critical, hateful, sceptical, aware, delightful, extravagant, stimulating, fascinating, daring, worthwhile, intelligent, faithful, important, responsive, sentimental,  thoughtful, intimate, loving, trusting, nurturing, peaceful, sleepy, creative, aware.

I would not use any of those words to describe my emotions, I'd only use them to describe a person, thing or situation e.g. He's very extravagant, that talk she gave was fascinating, dogs are very faithful, the forest is very peaceful.

My emotions can  be expressed in very few words: usually good (happy?) ok (content?) or bad (not on that wheel) On occasion I can identify anger, embarrassment, annoyance, rejected, confused, stupid, lonely, helpless, anxious, satisfied, amused, or bored. Wow, that's actually more than I thought! 

Maybe I need to make my own emotion chart. I wouldn't have a wheel, I'd just have a list and a description next to it to remind me what might prompt it e.g. Annoyance - when someone keeps asking you the same question. Rejection - when somebody doesn't like you. Satisfied - when you've done something well. And I'd call it the KISS emotion guide (KISS = keep it simple, stupid!) Slight smile

• OMG - too much information!

The intention is to start in the centre, and see which general group your feeling seems to belong to (this is the easy part).

Then you look at the emotions that this spreads into and see if any of these seem like they match what you are feeling.

I'm not sure about the outside ring - I tend to use just the inner two.

It makes it really simple to use this way.