Do you ever miss real shops?

I do, I miss being able to go to a physical shop and look and try stuff on, some times I want a good old mindless wander around shops, a bit of retail therapy. The internets just not hte same, you don't get to feel or see the size or quality of what you're buying and so much of it is rubbish and not as described.

Parents
  • I don't like shops per se but there are times when I get rather frustrated re clothing as I do prefer to try on.

However, there are plenty of shops I can travel to nearby, so I do have a choice.

I'm assuming from what you have written that you have few shops nearby?

A lot have been lost from my town centre - I'd say around 70% have gone since I  moved here 17 years ago.

In fact, one of the national papers featured my town as one becoming a bit of a ghost town, shopping wise.

There are plenty of hairdressers, barbers, beauty salons, tattoo parlours and charity shops though.

Thinking

• I often feel like clothes shops aren't for me either, I'm too big to be a proper girl has been the message I've had from to many clothes shops. I rarely get anything from charity shops, our local one seems to have stopped selling books or at least has cut down on the numbers they sell, so theres even less reason to in now. I very rarely get clothes from charity shops as everything is too short.

I think I just miss having dept stores to browse around, not just for clothes, but for interesting plates and mugs and stuff. I miss haberdashery depts too.

The nearest place with biggish shops is Llanddudno, which is horrible, as well as being full of tourists, its really spread out and all the shops are in little enclaves with loads of similar shops, often behind high walls facing onto a central car park, there's nothing to really tell you whats there. I miss little independent shops too, places where you can get interesting jewelery and art.

We have loads of hairdressers, barbers, tattoo parlours and beauty salons, a few of the charity shops have closed down. We did/do have some independent shops in Bangor, but the council have whacked up the rent and rates and many are closing.

I think the internet has ruined shopping, it feels like you can get anything you want as long as its the same dozen or so things. I get sick of going into shops and asking if they have an item in my size only to be told I can order it online, I ask them what's the point of them being there if they don't actually hold stock or only in a few sizes?

I've never heard the word schumtter before?

• Learn a new skill and make your own!

• Use old bed sheets and dye them.

But then you'd have to buy new bedsheets.

And so it continues...

• I tried and my sewing machine hates me, I can no longer knit or hand sew as my fingers are to wonky. The other thing is where would I get the stuff from? We have a sewing shop nearby, that mostly does patchwork and crossstitch stuff, very little proper fabric. I can't get a good idea of what I'm buying online as I can't feel the weight or drape of the fabric, or what colour it really is.

Like I said before it's not just clothes its everything, from undies to gates and fencing.

• I tried and my sewing machine hates me, I can no longer knit or hand sew as my fingers are to wonky. The other thing is where would I get the stuff from? We have a sewing shop nearby, that mostly does patchwork and crossstitch stuff, very little proper fabric. I can't get a good idea of what I'm buying online as I can't feel the weight or drape of the fabric, or what colour it really is.

Like I said before it's not just clothes its everything, from undies to gates and fencing.

Children