National Service

I see this old chestnut has come to the fore again. I can see problems with it.

Does the military want all these people for a year or so and what will they do with them?

If people are made to volunteer for things like life boats, special constables and library assistants, will it mean that the training for such things will outlast the service time?

Will real jobs be at risk because people are volunteering?

If theres no sanctions how will they make people do it?

Will it mean that those currently on benefits will be sanctioned for not "doing their bit"?

Will this idea have mission creep? If not enough people volunteer, will some kind of sanction be imposed?

It all sounds desperate to me, like a political party flailing about to find vote winning policies that are ill thought out.

It won't come in until 2029 anyway, just in time for another election, hmmm?

Parents
  • The kind of regressive thinking that seems to define conservative thinkers. I've never understood this notion that putting teenagers into the military builds character, or gives you 'real world skills'. Even worse, the idea of sending troubled or anti-social teenagers into the military. Sure, let's teach them how to kill people. 

It's just another attempt to use vacuous nostalgia for 'our lost Britain' as a vote-harvester. 

• Clearly, you've not any practical expereince of mIlitary training.

It IS character building, in that it trains you to prioritise service over self interest, it gives you experiences that you'd otherwise never think of having, or have the opportunity to do (unless you have money to burn) and in my case it gave me a very solid training in electronics. It also trained me to know when it is apporpriate to standup and put up a fight and when to run away.

Then of course, you get sent out to kill or be killed in a "bankers war" when they next need to make a "blood sacrifice", unless you are lucky like I was and pick the right time to join. 

And to be fair, whilst I was grateful of the training opportunites for self advancement, I found that I was consistently bullied (for what I now know to be my autism) adn it didn't stop when I went to my forst working unit, in fact some staff sergeant made me a "personal project", and after a mere three months I'd had enough, so I quit.

I managed to do it in such a way, that in addition to making my own escape, I seem to have trashed his career in the process. (as I later found out) Result!! 

And regressive thinking is the opposite of the progressive thinking that produces the useless man-boys and deviants that currenlty hold sway over your thinking and "lead" our country.

Like the current chanractlerless prat who having got us into a shooting war with the Russians (which they have not actually informed us PLEBS that we are in, but the russians know alright who is operating those storm shadow missiles, and it isn't the Ukrainins ) suddenly realsies that he doesn't want to be a "wartime prime minster" so having got us Ba**s deep into that mess, is seeking to bail out quickly and leave the mess to someone else.

Still, we get the leaders that we deserve...

• And regressive thinking is the opposite of the progressive thinking that produces the useless man-boys and deviants that currenlty hold sway over your thinking and "lead" our country.

You were winning me over until I read the above line. Useless man-boys and deviants? Come on, man. That's some judgmental *** you're spouting there and, once again, harkening back to a time that never was. 

• I once attended a talk given by a former SAS soldier. He said that he was clinically diagnosed as a psychopath whilst serving. It helped him do his job. His job was to go into a high-risk situation and kill an " x-ray" - another human who had been identified by the proper authority as requiring to be killed. Job done, no regrets, no remorse. Killing an x-ray was like stamping on a cockroach. He was not in a command position because he was not good at nuanced decision-making, but he was (apparently) very good at his particular job, and the rest of us can sleep easier in our beds because of it.

• The insane Brain, goes mainly down the drain.

Repeat that line enough and you can become like me!

• Sane is the new insane. 

That sounded better in my head. 

You heard that voice too then? Spooky!

• I don't allow myself to deliberately do it very often, but some days I guess I am less sane than on most.

Sane is the new insane. 

That sounded better in my head. 

• It's one I never thought I'd have to type! 

I was talking to a friend, a Black (her identification, not my horrible racism) Lady, the other day about "Great Repacement Theory" the other day. 

After giving me the usual guff about how it's all right wing rubbish etc, she challenged me to prove it. I knew she was the sort who would give me a fair hearing, so I made an effort and did. To her satisfaction.

The figures (Available at the ONI, and many other sources) are clear and easy to see, and the reason it's a theory rather than a hypothesis is because a lot of work has been done to ensure that it is a true description of reality. NOT an emotional rallying point, just a plain description of an ongoing process.

Obviously, that's upsetting to some people (and of course they are full of vitriol) it was initially "unsettling" to me as I had no idea until I got exposed to it and sought to "debunk it" it properly for myself.

As a creationist of course I have a massive psychologcal advantage over the Atheists, whenever I meet an uncomfortable truth like "my kind and way of life is on its way out" OR "My cat is dying of cancer" I KNOW it's all part of the way things were created and planned to happen, and it's not my problem at all. It's just the way it is. 

I actually believe I am telling the truth there about "centrist heterosexual white christian" (males particularly)  receieving "organised abuse and marginalisation" and invite other people who fit that quite narrow description to tell me how wrong I am. Or stand up and tell your truth, whilst you have the chance!

Some days I really do play the part of that kid in the story about the emperors clothes...

• You want to try being a centrist heterosexual white christian if you want to experience some proper oragnised abuse and marginalisation...

That’s a sentence I never thought I’d see.

• ONLY once?

You got off lightly, trust me I get WAY more abuse regularly than that, just being the sort that I am...

You want to try being a centrist heterosexual white christian if you want to experience some proper oragnised abuse and marginalisation...

• I was once told that because I’m gay that I’m “a freak and a weirdo” so I do empathise 

• Agreed.

For me the healthy debate ends when people start calling me names. yesterday I just felt like adding a bit of personal snark of my own. 

And I'm not trying to be "erudite and witty", I was being deliberatey obscure out of petty annoyance.

I don't allow myself to deliberately do it very often, but some days I guess I am less sane than on most.

• I have a problem with your use of the word deviant, though. By definition (actions or behaviors that go against social norms or expectations) Plato, whom you quote, was a deviant. Most of those who have propelled the species forward have been deviants. It tales a deviant to push society's norms until they change. And it takes the norms to look at someone and denounce them as deviant. 

I would imagine this point does not need explaining to a group of us NDs. 

I couldn't agree more.

• I can't think that any of you really think that we benefit from wise and fair leadership, and that is simply because we are lead by "deviants". There's a HUGE proportion of psychopaths drawn to leadership positions

I can't entirely disagree with this, but I would extend it beyond simply leadership positions. In fact, I would argue that both the military and the police are also paths that would seem attractive to sociopaths and psychopaths. I certainly don't share the common desire to venerate people in these positions simply because they are the military or the police. 

Do I think we benefit from 'wise and fair' leadership? Not at all. Power draws the weak, and that is a major failing of any hierarchical society. Always has been. Any modern election, say, in the UK (where I was born) and the US (where I live) often comes down to a decision between the lesser of two evils. 

I have a problem with your use of the word deviant, though. By definition (actions or behaviors that go against social norms or expectations) Plato, whom you quote, was a deviant. Most of those who have propelled the species forward have been deviants. It tales a deviant to push society's norms until they change. And it takes the norms to look at someone and denounce them as deviant. 

I would imagine this point does not need explaining to a group of us NDs. 

• It's not hard to appear to be a troll to people who's inter cranial pressure is measured in torrs...

We are very much in a plato's cave situation in this thread, of course, well some of us are.

Name-calling and condescending comments, however erudite and witty you might think them, are no substitute for healthy debate. 

• It's not hard to appear to be a troll to people who's inter cranial pressure is measured in torrs...

We are very much in a plato's cave situation in this thread, of course, well some of us are.

Children