National Service

I see this old chestnut has come to the fore again. I can see problems with it.

Does the military want all these people for a year or so and what will they do with them?

If people are made to volunteer for things like life boats, special constables and library assistants, will it mean that the training for such things will outlast the service time?

Will real jobs be at risk because people are volunteering?

If theres no sanctions how will they make people do it?

Will it mean that those currently on benefits will be sanctioned for not "doing their bit"?

Will this idea have mission creep? If not enough people volunteer, will some kind of sanction be imposed?

It all sounds desperate to me, like a political party flailing about to find vote winning policies that are ill thought out.

It won't come in until 2029 anyway, just in time for another election, hmmm?

Parents
  • The kind of regressive thinking that seems to define conservative thinkers. I've never understood this notion that putting teenagers into the military builds character, or gives you 'real world skills'. Even worse, the idea of sending troubled or anti-social teenagers into the military. Sure, let's teach them how to kill people. 

It's just another attempt to use vacuous nostalgia for 'our lost Britain' as a vote-harvester. 

• I've never understood this notion that putting teenagers into the military builds character, or gives you 'real world skills'.

I have family who are career military and they found it was a great way to learn a lot of skills that would be difficult to get in civilian life without money or access.

There were things like getting a driving license (my nephew gained up to the HGV license which has obvious use outside the military), training on vehicle maintenance, sapper skills (civil engineering in a very hands on way), electronics (admittedly a bit niche now) and IT skills.

There are typically lots of other avenues this opens up if you want to develop skills while being paid although this needs more than the part time conscription model to access, but it is now open to you.

Even worse, the idea of sending troubled or anti-social teenagers into the military.

I often wonder if this would be a good way for so many of our snowflake generation to learn the importance of discipline, whether self or imposed and that there are a lot of positives in spite of the negatives.

Sure, let's teach them how to kill people. 

There is almost an unheard of thing in the military these days, certainly for any European army.

If push comes to shove and we get into a conventional war then we need to send someone off to do this horrible job and who better than those who society has invested least in so far. This is how politicians will view it.

Who should we send? They need to be fit, maleable and dispensible. Can you think of any other group who would be fit for purpose here?

• our snowflake generation

Vomiting emoji as mine won't paste.

• As an Irish patriot living in the U.K., I would refuse to fight in any U.K. war and I would rather return to Ireland to defend my homeland and my people from our own corrupt government in Ireland - they are trying to end Irish neutrality and force Ireland to join NATO, scrapping our 1937 constitution that expressly states that Irish neutrality is fundamental to the Irish state, to not get involved in foreign wars - that said, I like Swiss model, itself a neutral country, where all Swiss nationals train every 6 months in the reserve defence forces in order to defend the country to protect thier neutrality 

• Vomitting emoji is appropriate, but not I suspect for the reasons you were looking for..

It was totally appropriate.

Anyone who is happy to dismiss and patronise a whole generation by calling them all 'snowflakes' (or any group anything else by a denegrating collective term) makes me feel nauseous.

There are a lot of people in this world who believe they are better than others.

This can work on various levels: class, intelligence, economics, sex, sexuality, race, morality, life experience, religion (ad infinitum).

It's dismissive, patronising, narrow minded and egocentric.

• Vomitting emoji is appropriate, but not I suspect for the reasons you were looking for..

It was totally appropriate.

Anyone who is happy to dismiss and patronise a whole generation by calling them all 'snowflakes' (or any group anything else by a denegrating collective term) makes me feel nauseous.

There are a lot of people in this world who believe they are better than others.

This can work on various levels: class, intelligence, economics, sex, sexuality, race, morality, life experience, religion (ad infinitum).

It's dismissive, patronising, narrow minded and egocentric.

Children
No Data