Books

So I have started getting invested in the subject after receiving confirmation of Autism.

Autism in Adults - Dr Luke Beardon. I really liked this one since reading it and recognising so many identical situations to myself. Written by a guy who has extensively studied but no autistic themselves.

Unmasking Autidm - Dr Devon Price. I've got one chapter into this and am returning it. Seems to be a fixation on autism being a disability and there being some links to a persons race, sexaulity of being gay and non binary which from what I can tell is who the author is. Simply offends me and I think it's a load of crap to make any linkages in this way and come from a poor me mindset.

I see autism as a superpower and has certainly been my superpower over the years working in intelligence analysis so certainly not a disability. 

It seems autism has become another hobby of intense focus however I see that as a positive not a detrimental effect of autism. 

Looking for next book recommendations which look to empower and not provide a negative view or limiting belief set. 

While writing this I have gone to my Amazon basket to view the other books I had shortlisted abd ordered Pattern seekers. It seems to be the exact empowerment I am looking for. 

Parents
  • Autism in Adults - Dr Luke Beardon. I really liked this one since reading it and recognising so many identical situations to myself. Written by a guy who has extensively studied but no autistic themselves.

Given you liked this book, you may enjoy Avoiding Anxiety in Autistic Adults, also by Luke Beardon. In his initial books, he doesn’t identify as autistic but in his later books, it seems as though he may be questioning his autistic identity (which would make sense given how well he understands us).

Unmasking Autidm - Dr Devon Price. I've got one chapter into this and am returning it. Seems to be a fixation on autism being a disability

Yes that’s exactly why I don’t want to read it. Our autistic way of being is by definition a neurotype and I don’t identify as disabled in any way, being autistic is utterly enabling and so I completely understand why you describe your autistic experience as a superpower. That’s great!

I am incredibly proud to be autistic (and more broadly neurodivergent) and one of the many reasons why I don’t identify as disabled is because it has negative connotations and secondly because it is genuinely incorrect. However I do understand that some other members of our autistic community feel differently and that is usually because of co-occurring experiences, not being autistic.

• Autism in Adults - Dr Luke Beardon. I really liked this one since reading it and recognising so many identical situations to myself. Written by a guy who has extensively studied but no autistic themselves.

Given you liked this book, you may enjoy Avoiding Anxiety in Autistic Adults, also by Luke Beardon. In his initial books, he doesn’t identify as autistic but in his later books, it seems as though he may be questioning his autistic identity (which would make sense given how well he understands us).

Unmasking Autidm - Dr Devon Price. I've got one chapter into this and am returning it. Seems to be a fixation on autism being a disability

Yes that’s exactly why I don’t want to read it. Our autistic way of being is by definition a neurotype and I don’t identify as disabled in any way, being autistic is utterly enabling and so I completely understand why you describe your autistic experience as a superpower. That’s great!

I am incredibly proud to be autistic (and more broadly neurodivergent) and one of the many reasons why I don’t identify as disabled is because it has negative connotations and secondly because it is genuinely incorrect. However I do understand that some other members of our autistic community feel differently and that is usually because of co-occurring experiences, not being autistic.

Children
  • I've got a few pages into the Devon price book and haven't gone back to it yet. 

Autism has been a life of extremes so far. Some extremely distressing times and some extremely good as a result of having certain abilities. Unfortunately I think there's been too much negative for me to say I love it. but that's perhaps down to me not having the knowledge to manage myself better, so post diagnosis me might fair better, we'll see! I wouldn't be any different though, it's me and that's that.

Not sure it's a superpower, but it certainly has some positives along with it's negatives.