Books

So I have started getting invested in the subject after receiving confirmation of Autism.

Autism in Adults - Dr Luke Beardon. I really liked this one since reading it and recognising so many identical situations to myself. Written by a guy who has extensively studied but no autistic themselves.

Unmasking Autidm - Dr Devon Price. I've got one chapter into this and am returning it. Seems to be a fixation on autism being a disability and there being some links to a persons race, sexaulity of being gay and non binary which from what I can tell is who the author is. Simply offends me and I think it's a load of crap to make any linkages in this way and come from a poor me mindset.

I see autism as a superpower and has certainly been my superpower over the years working in intelligence analysis so certainly not a disability. 

It seems autism has become another hobby of intense focus however I see that as a positive not a detrimental effect of autism. 

Looking for next book recommendations which look to empower and not provide a negative view or limiting belief set. 

While writing this I have gone to my Amazon basket to view the other books I had shortlisted abd ordered Pattern seekers. It seems to be the exact empowerment I am looking for. 

• I'll add that to my list. I'm slow at getting through books, I tend to buy them and they sit on a shelf for a year then eventually I remember and then get into them and don't put them down till I'm done. Same with some clothes weirdly enough, I wear them the first time after a year or two of buying them and forgetting they're in a drawer or wardrobe.

• I liked The Gendered Brain by Gina Ripon, who's a neurologist, it's not always an easy read and isn't a "how to" book, but a good look at the reseach and the tiny sample sizes of many of the studies and the sweeping generalisations made from such statistically small numbers. It shows how so much research has been done on what's traditionally been seen as male behaviour and autistic traits and how wrong this is, for men and women. As well as the implications for how autism is dealt with in the "real" world.

If you'd have asked me a few months ago just after diagnosis, I'd have said it was a curse.. I think I'm starting to see more positive points now as times gone by , it's been an emotional rollercoaster, (more so than normal days and they can be a challenge)

Helps to have found this place, somewhere to talk about things and people usually get it, or often find people have already said what I was thinking, which suggests I found a like minded set of folks who have gone through similar.

You are welcome! I am glad you are starting to think more positively about being autistic, it takes time for all of us to process such a huge life changing piece of information about ourselves and that’s perfectly valid.

Absolutely, our autistic community is so important it’s vital to have our neurokin around us so that we can support each other without repeatedly having to explain our neurology.

I've got a huge amount to be thankful of in my life and I have to admit some of that is probably a result of autism and ability to hyper focus and obsess over things, especially career wise. but as I've got further along in that I'm more subjected to politics and ambiguities of the corporate world, so that's a negative trigger. I hate that sometimes autism issues can consume me and distract me from the positives.

That’s good. I have no doubt being autistic has benefited you, after all thinking differently is often a huge advantage as we often question the status quo. It’s ok, to sometimes feel negatively about your autistic identity, it’s not natural to be happy and positive all  the time, particularly given the fact we are constantly stigmatised by society.

Last year I was having the sort of thoughts that have health care folks running for the straight jackets and hiding everything sharp, so I've come a long way since then and a lot of that is having people help me see a different perspective.

That’s great that you have come so far. I hope we can continue to help you develop a positive autistic identity (or at least neutral). 

If you'd have asked me a few months ago just after diagnosis, I'd have said it was a curse.. I think I'm starting to see more positive points now as times gone by , it's been an emotional rollercoaster, (more so than normal days and they can be a challenge)

Helps to have found this place, somewhere to talk about things and people usually get it, or often find people have already said what I was thinking, which suggests I found a like minded set of folks who have gone through similar.

I've got a huge amount to be thankful of in my life and I have to admit some of that is probably a result of autism and ability to hyper focus and obsess over things, especially career wise. but as I've got further along in that I'm more subjected to politics and ambiguities of the corporate world, so that's a negative trigger. I hate that sometimes autism issues can consume me and distract me from the positives.

Last year I was having the sort of thoughts that have health care folks running for the straight jackets and hiding everything sharp, so I've come a long way since then and a lot of that is having people help me see a different perspective.

• Not sure it's a superpower, but it certainly has some positives along with it's negatives.

Yes I understand that, it’s the same with every neurotype. Our autistic experiences are notably more intense because of our monotropic cognitive style and resulting spiky profiles.

Unfortunately I think there's been too much negative for me to say I love it. but that's perhaps down to me not having the knowledge to manage myself better, so post diagnosis me might fair better, we'll see! I wouldn't be any different though, it's me and that's that.

I am sorry that has been your experience, the autistic discovery journey is not linear and I hope at some stage you may feel differently.

You may find this graphic below helpful, it explains the variety of emotions and stages of autistic discovery:

https://aucademy.co.uk/2022/01/20/six-common-reactions-during-autistic-discovery/?amp=1

I hope this helps.

• I've got a few pages into the Devon price book and haven't gone back to it yet. 

Autism has been a life of extremes so far. Some extremely distressing times and some extremely good as a result of having certain abilities. Unfortunately I think there's been too much negative for me to say I love it. but that's perhaps down to me not having the knowledge to manage myself better, so post diagnosis me might fair better, we'll see! I wouldn't be any different though, it's me and that's that.

Not sure it's a superpower, but it certainly has some positives along with it's negatives.

• Autism in Adults - Dr Luke Beardon. I really liked this one since reading it and recognising so many identical situations to myself. Written by a guy who has extensively studied but no autistic themselves.

Given you liked this book, you may enjoy Avoiding Anxiety in Autistic Adults, also by Luke Beardon. In his initial books, he doesn’t identify as autistic but in his later books, it seems as though he may be questioning his autistic identity (which would make sense given how well he understands us).

Unmasking Autidm - Dr Devon Price. I've got one chapter into this and am returning it. Seems to be a fixation on autism being a disability

Yes that’s exactly why I don’t want to read it. Our autistic way of being is by definition a neurotype and I don’t identify as disabled in any way, being autistic is utterly enabling and so I completely understand why you describe your autistic experience as a superpower. That’s great!

I am incredibly proud to be autistic (and more broadly neurodivergent) and one of the many reasons why I don’t identify as disabled is because it has negative connotations and secondly because it is genuinely incorrect. However I do understand that some other members of our autistic community feel differently and that is usually because of co-occurring experiences, not being autistic.