Overwhelmed

How do you cope when it feels like every aspect of your life is changing?

I feel SO overwhelmed, I don't know how to physically cope! 
I feel so emotional but don't feel like anybody really gets what I am feeling. Everybody around me seems to be going about life so easily when there is so much change happening, I can feel myself bubbling with so many emotions, but, I don't know how to deal with them.
I kind of feel like I am outside of my body just watching a shell of myself wandering around trying to figure out where to go next...

• Thank you for this! 
    Tonight has been a tough one for me, but this has certainly been useful Slight smile

• Hello, thank you for sharing.
    I don't feel like this permanently but when things are changing, it certainly takes it's toll on me!
    You are quite right however, I do always get through it. It just feels soo tough and long at the time.
    Sometimes near impossible to get to 'the other side'.

• Hi there

I’m not sure if this helps but will offer it anyway.

Do you feel this way permanently or do you have ups and downs? If it’s the latter as with me I try and keep telling myself that every day I get through is a day closer to a good day. When I’m down I’m very in the moment and it can feel like it lasts forever but the pattern with me is that it does get better.

Try and reassure yourself that you can get through it.

I also try to record what triggers me to try and reduce these feelings. 

Im sorry I can’t offer anything else but wish you all the best 

• My son is diagnosed with autism and i have never had a test and may or may not be..however I can comment in some small way...my son told me that the lobes in the brain that deal with stress are apparently like gargantuan boulders whereas someone neuro typical there lobes will be like small pebbles..so basically what one person would feel overwhelmed the other would feel like things are not such a big deal...thing is you need to be careful of burnout because that's a real thing and is part and parcel of too much stress.

• Yes, constant change and dynamic environment are overwhelming and upsetting. I always say that this world is too much for me. 

• I think one of the hardest things for autistic people to get their heads around is that the only constant is change, however why change all has to come at once I don't know.  As Iain said, try writing it all down. You could try physically grounding yourself into your body, by doing things like counting all the blue objects you can see, (any colour will do), doing pigeon steps, you know where you walk with your front foot touching the toe of your rear foot, or touching the ground, hugging a tree or running your hands over foliage, like grass.

This period of change will pass and a new normal will come about as things calm down. If you find yourself with inner turmoil then try drinking cammomile tea as it's sooting, although do check if you're on medication, or sprinkling some lavender essentail oil on a tissue and tucking in your top or under your pillow.

• I kind of feel like I am outside of my body just watching a shell of myself wandering around trying to figure out where to go next...

My tip for this - write it down and rationalise it.

Make a mini-project for it so any decisions are reasoned and justified for the bigger picture of things. From this you will be able to work out the tasks needed to get the project done and can just get stuck in and deal with them.

Taking control of this should go a long way to dealing with the emotional side of things as you are now actively managing the change and your response to it wherever possible.

If you can afford it, getting a therapist with autistic experience is a great way to show you a load of other techniques to help.

At the end of the day you need to take control of it and these are the best ways I can recommend.

• I've always found a lot of change can be unsettling and when more than one thing isn't "normal" then it's worse.

I find looking for something that is stable amongst all the parts of my life and thinking of that, grounds me a bit. Sometimes that can literally just be "me" as everything else is changing or in some "different" state than "normal". Hobbies are a good place to focus on if you have any, something you feel you have a little control over.