Autism and ADHD

Hi everyone

I’ve been off my meds for nearly a month now, for the first time since I had my autism diagnosis, and am in the process of getting to know myself again.

Part of that has been to revisit the possibility that I have ADHD, or more specifically ADD, as well. There are many symptoms common to both ADHD and autism though so it’s difficult to tease them apart.

I know there are quite a few AuDHD people on this forum though. So can any of you describe the difference in experience, symptoms and behaviours between “vanilla” autism and AuDHD?

Parents
  • There are many symptoms common to both ADHD and autism though so it’s difficult to tease them apart

Funnily enough I was having a heated discussion with my niece about this this afternoon (rather one sided actually, on her part).

She was a social worker dealing with 'autistic' children and she thinks that a lot of misdiagnoses of autism are being made instead of the correct ones eg. AD(H)D or trauma.

I don't have the two combined but I've read from some members who do that the 2 sort of work against each other which can make life particularly difficult.

I think there was previously a thread on this actually.

Welcome back Heart eyes cat

ps.  The cat emojis come under the 'people' emoji banner Smirk cat

• I have worried at times that maybe I could have been misdiagnosed but each time I’ve gone back and checked all the criteria for autism and I really am a very stereotypical fit for them.

But I do also match most of what I’ve read of ADD and my score on the ASRS test is high.

One of my massive challenges in life, that causes a lot of stress, is that I cannot focus on demand so most of my work week I underperform then massively overperform for a few hours. If this was something ADHD meds could mitigate I would definitely consider them.

My alternative theory is that I am a cat trapped in a human body Cat2

• My alternative theory is that I am a cat trapped in a human body 

In which case all you need to do is eat, sleep, chase mice, sleep, clean yourself, eat spiders, sleep, clean yourself, eat and sleep.

Oh, and roll around occasionally.

• Mine too.

A while back I adopted a "sleep when I want to strategy" which seems to work O.K. BUT, it's yet another "decoupling" from "doing what the normal people do".

When I realised I was really, really fed up with "playing the game" and wanted to live as authentic a life as I can I needed a lifestyle to suit. 

I've ended up literally living a "wombling" life, pretty much as depicted in the theme song. 

O.K. I use ebay and personal contacts to source my junk, rather than Wimbledon common, but the principle is the same. Live a low impact life, off the radar, based on honest (but limited) industry, and having obtained (Via poverty, Gov website classes me as destitute) the freedom to do pretty much whatever I want when I want without being taxed, feed, fined, disbursed, tarriffed, charged for doing it.

The only snag is that I only have access to my own personal resources, and have to constantly make decisions about what I am going to do with my time for myself, instead of having that chore done for me by a host of professionals (bank, employer, benefits officer, you know, all those casual authority figures that pop up in life to set you a task or goal, or present a bill...)

It's fantastically difficult to pull off sucessfully, I've seen many, many, others try and fail spectacularly. 

I daily struggle now with guilt for the people who are still supporting this system of things, But thankfully, there are ways I can still make a meaningful & positive contribution to society and I enjoy some limited sucess in that regard. 

Consider this: 

About 200 years ago we had the "Industrial revolution" which allowed us to produce more product and do more work with the new machines in victorian times than anyone had ever done before...

It follows SURELY that people would be freed from having to work long days, or perhaps even regularly? In the early 1900's books were being written about how society would flourish in the bright future to come, and indeed standard of living soared, and opportunities for employment fell. 

So how did our leaders cope with the prospect of to many "workers" and not enough jobs? 

Did they conduct a restructuring of society so that people's efforts were directed towards looking after what they had, cleaning the streets etc. on a voluntary/COMMUNITY basis? 

OR:

Did they organise 2 massive wars to kill off a lot of the suddenly surplus worker class, and create a throwaway materialistic society, where people instead of crafting items designed to last the lifetime of the user, and the owners respecting the craftsmanship and looking after stuff, and "gurantees" being actually real, and spare parts available to the home repairer at sensible cost, which was how things WERE, we got to this point where any electronics manufactured after 1980 is very NOT repairable, parts are NOT available (and now cannot be substituted without a software update in some cars, and drones and early "networked media players" at the very least) and of course the software is held by the manufacturer and not available to YOU. 

When I bought a transistor or an I.C. in the 1980's a reputable part had a mean time between failure specification which when converted into years was about 24 years per semiconductor. NOW they quote 18 months for mosfets... 

As Gary Clail so eleganty expresses in "Emotional Hooligan" we could have had it all and all that needed to be done, was not let the greediest and most unscrupulous people run our society. 

"There will always be the poor" as Jesus Christ so tellingly remarked.

I guess I went off topic... 

• Mine too.

A while back I adopted a "sleep when I want to strategy" which seems to work O.K. BUT, it's yet another "decoupling" from "doing what the normal people do".

When I realised I was really, really fed up with "playing the game" and wanted to live as authentic a life as I can I needed a lifestyle to suit. 

I've ended up literally living a "wombling" life, pretty much as depicted in the theme song. 

O.K. I use ebay and personal contacts to source my junk, rather than Wimbledon common, but the principle is the same. Live a low impact life, off the radar, based on honest (but limited) industry, and having obtained (Via poverty, Gov website classes me as destitute) the freedom to do pretty much whatever I want when I want without being taxed, feed, fined, disbursed, tarriffed, charged for doing it.

The only snag is that I only have access to my own personal resources, and have to constantly make decisions about what I am going to do with my time for myself, instead of having that chore done for me by a host of professionals (bank, employer, benefits officer, you know, all those casual authority figures that pop up in life to set you a task or goal, or present a bill...)

It's fantastically difficult to pull off sucessfully, I've seen many, many, others try and fail spectacularly. 

I daily struggle now with guilt for the people who are still supporting this system of things, But thankfully, there are ways I can still make a meaningful & positive contribution to society and I enjoy some limited sucess in that regard. 

Consider this: 

About 200 years ago we had the "Industrial revolution" which allowed us to produce more product and do more work with the new machines in victorian times than anyone had ever done before...

It follows SURELY that people would be freed from having to work long days, or perhaps even regularly? In the early 1900's books were being written about how society would flourish in the bright future to come, and indeed standard of living soared, and opportunities for employment fell. 

So how did our leaders cope with the prospect of to many "workers" and not enough jobs? 

Did they conduct a restructuring of society so that people's efforts were directed towards looking after what they had, cleaning the streets etc. on a voluntary/COMMUNITY basis? 

OR:

Did they organise 2 massive wars to kill off a lot of the suddenly surplus worker class, and create a throwaway materialistic society, where people instead of crafting items designed to last the lifetime of the user, and the owners respecting the craftsmanship and looking after stuff, and "gurantees" being actually real, and spare parts available to the home repairer at sensible cost, which was how things WERE, we got to this point where any electronics manufactured after 1980 is very NOT repairable, parts are NOT available (and now cannot be substituted without a software update in some cars, and drones and early "networked media players" at the very least) and of course the software is held by the manufacturer and not available to YOU. 

When I bought a transistor or an I.C. in the 1980's a reputable part had a mean time between failure specification which when converted into years was about 24 years per semiconductor. NOW they quote 18 months for mosfets... 

As Gary Clail so eleganty expresses in "Emotional Hooligan" we could have had it all and all that needed to be done, was not let the greediest and most unscrupulous people run our society. 

"There will always be the poor" as Jesus Christ so tellingly remarked.

I guess I went off topic... 

Children
No Data