Autism being used as a reason vs an excuse

What are some good examples of either?

I think they can often get confused.

Parents
  • Really good topic! I would say the only way autism or other ND conditions may be abused - to try to get away with bad behaviors. It’s really subjective thing, wether someone uses it as an excuse or explanation. I would always stick to the explanation. Is the person able to make eye contact? Yes? Why don’t they do it then? Maybe because it feels bad? Maybe because this way they can’t concentrate on the topic? It’s easy to assume, accuse of being lazy, not trying hard enough, easy to gaslit someone even without malicious intention. I honestly started searching the golden Centre between masking and being myself. I stopped masking so hard, because it was damaging to me. Maybe it’s excuse from someone’s perspective. It’s ok. No one is sitting in my head and body to really know what I really feel. For me personally eye contact feels intrusive and like the other person’s eyes are burning mine. Maybe there are some cases of people who can get a decent job, but using a mild disability to hang on benefits. I don’t know but it’s not my job to judge. 

• Really good topic! I would say the only way autism or other ND conditions may be abused - to try to get away with bad behaviors. It’s really subjective thing, wether someone uses it as an excuse or explanation. I would always stick to the explanation. Is the person able to make eye contact? Yes? Why don’t they do it then? Maybe because it feels bad? Maybe because this way they can’t concentrate on the topic? It’s easy to assume, accuse of being lazy, not trying hard enough, easy to gaslit someone even without malicious intention. I honestly started searching the golden Centre between masking and being myself. I stopped masking so hard, because it was damaging to me. Maybe it’s excuse from someone’s perspective. It’s ok. No one is sitting in my head and body to really know what I really feel. For me personally eye contact feels intrusive and like the other person’s eyes are burning mine. Maybe there are some cases of people who can get a decent job, but using a mild disability to hang on benefits. I don’t know but it’s not my job to judge. 

Children
No Data