Autism being used as a reason vs an excuse

What are some good examples of either?

I think they can often get confused.

Parents
  • When I go in to meltdowns and struggle to work, it's cost me my jobs more times than I care to remember, my dad usually says I'm just using it as an excuse and I'm lazy and don't want to work.

Always horrible to hear this and sad that people think it's true.

I do try to explain. I can explain why I do or don't do certain things, or why I can or cannot do certain things but most of my family don't believe it.

• When I go in to meltdowns and struggle to work, it's cost me my jobs more times than I care to remember, my dad usually says I'm just using it as an excuse and I'm lazy and don't want to work.

Always horrible to hear this and sad that people think it's true.

I do try to explain. I can explain why I do or don't do certain things, or why I can or cannot do certain things but most of my family don't believe it.

Children
  • When I was younger my temper cost me a few jobs, mostly ones im probably best out of anyway, eventually I found I knew myself better and also found more fitting roles so that combination helped. It's a balance you need to find of what you are happy to deal with V what you enjoy.

Having been diagnosed recently I look back and wonder, had I known then would I have been better armed to control myself, or more likely to say I couldn't do the job... Guess I'll never know!

• I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

Do you think it'd be any better if you wrote it down?