Best friend ditched me earlier.

He moved abroad to be with his partner. They're getting married in June and my wife and I were going to fly out there for the event. 

I'm very fragile right now and my wife has a lot on at work, so we withdrew our RSVP and offered to reimburse him if he ended up out of pocket. 

It'd be full of people I don't know in a strange country and alcohol would be around (I'm also a recovering alcoholic and am tee total). It just wasn't a good idea. 

He got nasty. Blocked me on Facebook and WhatsApp and said he was done with me. Accused me of lying. 

I got him on email where he told me I act like the world owes me one and I bring everybody around me down. 

I feel pretty low. 

Parents
  • Well Stu, your friend sounds like a bit of ass-hat to me......and perhaps you are better-off out of that relationship for a while anyway?

Some friends don't like us to change.....and that is ESPECIALLY true in terms of stopping alcohol.  You are right to prioritise your welfare, and if "friends" can't support that, they they need to be left alone to acclimatise to your new reality OR they need to be dumped.

Just my opinions.  Don't feel low.....you have conquered booze!  Celebrate.....EVERY day!  Well done Stu.  Moreover, you know/knew that this wedding trip was a bad idea for you, so you decided not to go.  We'll done for assessing the situation AND making a sound and definitive decision based on your assessment.

You have nowt to be sorry about.....and you have exposed a (at best) very stressed and selfish friend......or perhaps just a person whom you thought was a friend (whilst you were drunk too much?!)

Have a calm and confident Saturday Stu.

Kind regards

Number.

• Well Stu, your friend sounds like a bit of ass-hat to me......and perhaps you are better-off out of that relationship for a while anyway?

Some friends don't like us to change.....and that is ESPECIALLY true in terms of stopping alcohol.  You are right to prioritise your welfare, and if "friends" can't support that, they they need to be left alone to acclimatise to your new reality OR they need to be dumped.

Just my opinions.  Don't feel low.....you have conquered booze!  Celebrate.....EVERY day!  Well done Stu.  Moreover, you know/knew that this wedding trip was a bad idea for you, so you decided not to go.  We'll done for assessing the situation AND making a sound and definitive decision based on your assessment.

You have nowt to be sorry about.....and you have exposed a (at best) very stressed and selfish friend......or perhaps just a person whom you thought was a friend (whilst you were drunk too much?!)

Have a calm and confident Saturday Stu.

Kind regards

Number.

Children
No Data