How to make friends

At least 2 people recently have asked about this, and I didn't get round to responding, so here goes:

Step 1: Always be open and honest with the person you're trying to make friends with.

Step 2: Give each other a detailed description of your personalities. In theory, you instantly know each other well enough to know whether you like each other then.

Step 3: Ask questions about each other. I've got into trouble before for asking too many questions; I think 3 per e-mail should be about the right number though.

It's worked 2 out of 2 times for me when I've tried this method with people I've been in touch with by private message on here. We got on so well that I made friends with each of them in less than 2 weeks! So it seems to work.

I hope that's helpful for people.

Parents
  • I struggle with making friends. Even when I'm honest about myself and my diagnosis people don't want to get to know me. 

I've tried masking, listening to better music everyone else likes, wearing more trendy clothes.

Still no one wants to be friends.

I even tried being myself and because I can't talk normally a girl I want to be friends with called me retarded.

• I struggle with making friends. Even when I'm honest about myself and my diagnosis people don't want to get to know me. 

I've tried masking, listening to better music everyone else likes, wearing more trendy clothes.

Still no one wants to be friends.

I even tried being myself and because I can't talk normally a girl I want to be friends with called me retarded.

Children
  • Ninj,

I'm raging that someone called you that! I think they deserve a kick up the ar**. I hope this doesn't get removed so you can see that I'd for sure fight your corner if that were to happen when I was there - not literally, as tempting as that would be.

I do wonder if people who are like that have experienced so much bullying themselves that they communicate that way and see nothing wrong with it?  Whatever the reason, that's disgusting behaviour and makes me raging inside.  I used to make friends with people who were picked on at school because I felt it was so unjust. I'm sure there are people out there all with similar struggles who would love to be friends with each other.

• I’m so sorry someone said that to you-that’s just terrible! IMO if someone has said that to you then you’re lucky they’re not your friend. You deserve better friends than someone who resorts to calling you names because you speak differently. You can speak-you just speak differently and that’s absolutely fine. I hope you'll find the right friends who treat you as you deserve to be treated. Xx