How to make friends

At least 2 people recently have asked about this, and I didn't get round to responding, so here goes:

Step 1: Always be open and honest with the person you're trying to make friends with.

Step 2: Give each other a detailed description of your personalities. In theory, you instantly know each other well enough to know whether you like each other then.

Step 3: Ask questions about each other. I've got into trouble before for asking too many questions; I think 3 per e-mail should be about the right number though.

It's worked 2 out of 2 times for me when I've tried this method with people I've been in touch with by private message on here. We got on so well that I made friends with each of them in less than 2 weeks! So it seems to work.

I hope that's helpful for people.

• Hi Mark

Your tips are good for making friends on this forum, with other ND people.

However, some people want to make friends with people they know in their offline lives, most of whom will be NT, and in that situation I'm afraid it's not a good idea to give someone a detailed description of your personality in your first conversation with them. So for that situation, here are my ideas:

Join an organisation or club - such as a choir, art group, chess club - whatever interests you - or volunteer for a cause you care about. Then you will be meeting people with a common interest. 

Look for opportunities to talk to people. Say "Hi, how are you?" or " isn't the weather horrible today?" to try to start a conversation. Keep the conversation going by listening to the other person and giving short replies (think of conversation as a ping pong game) If someone starts to talk about something you like, don't do a monologue about it. Ask them about themselves too, such as what music they enjoy. People usually like to talk about themselves, so follow up on things they say with a question, for example if they say they play guitar, you could ask "how long have you been playing?" or " what songs do you play?"

Think about how you project yourself to others - it's nice when someone smiles at you, so try to smile at them. If you can't maintain eye contact, try focussing on a different part of their face or just above their shoulder. 

Everyone likes it when other people make them feel good. You can do this to others by asking them for help with something (such as choosing a gift for a member of your family) offering help - with carrying boxes, for example - or giving a compliment, such as "I like your shoes". The compliment can be followed up with a question such as "where did you buy them?" 

Once you have had a conversation with someone, if you feel you could be friends then ask them if they would like to meet up another time, which will allow you both to share contact details. 

Once you have started a friendship, be reliable, trustworthy, and a good listener when they have problems - and always remember their birthday. 

• always be patient and let them come to you when its the right time and be happy

• It's easy if you can recognise it. It's certainly easier for me to pick up on it in other people than myself, but it's more being less hyper aware of what they might think of me.

Also, realising what you actually want. I used to think I wanted a huge network of friends, but I realised eventually that I never wanted to have to give an equal amount of energy to 30 people...

• Being "likeable" is easy, being lovable involves a lot of getting up and doing stuff when you don't really want to... 

• I can understand the struggle, it took me until I was 22/23 to form meaningful connections and even then, I made a huge mess of it because I didn't know what I was doing.

I've learnt to focus on what I need, more than what I want although there are overlaps. I both want and need someone with similar interests, similar sense of humour and conversational style etc.

• Nice step by step guide. I'll definitely try to remember this! I'm in my early twenties and have never had a single friend, not at school or since. I tried. I spent a lot of time trying but no one ever wanted to get to know me. When I masked I must have done it terribly because I still wasn't 'one' of them.

Half the time it feels like I'm always going to be alone and friendless. But I live in hope one day I'll encounter somebody who wants to be friends with this autistic soul.

• I wish I still had access to my dating profile. I did tell it how it is...

Didn't get many replies, so (since I was running out of time on my three day membership) I went shopping...

I reviewed 400 profiles and decided that 16 did not look like monsters to me...

Of the sxteen lucky candidates, four wrote back to me, (one to tell me how bad my profile was) then I ended up swapping a few emails until one of 'em offered to go for a date...

Simple maths and filtering for the win. Stuff waiting for "cupids arrow".

22 years later and she regrets going first now. I did offer a get out of relationship free card when I got my diagnosis, it only seemed fair...

• but also explaining their personality counts as lying as they will just say good stuff about themselves or positive stuff... they wont say "oh yeah, im a right ***, i get angry too easily, and i dont like anyone, i dont like this and that and i think this is annoying" lol

they will be like "oh im so great, im kind and caring and this and that" all positive stuff, which are often generic and lies and not really how others percieve them anyway

• I used to be really mechanical with it, but now I try (as much as possible) to go on intuition. Don't get overexcited cos someone was nice to me once, kind of thing.

• Nah, he's pretty much on the money there.

BUT. The devil in is in the details, as they say.

You have to do it right, particualrly for the N.T's...

• im not sure that works as honesty offends people these days lol

and i dunno i think it might be weird to just randomly describe your personality.... although i dunno maybe thats what people do but to me it feels weird... but then everything feels weird so i just stay quiet and only respond/speak when spoken to anyway as that feels more normal.