Are we disabled?

This question is controversial but I thought Jeremy Andrew Davis had an interesting take.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tdOp8XnTm6c

What do you all think?

Parents
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=A1AUdaH-EPM

This video also deals with that subject: she is trying to change the paradigm of disability from the medical model to the social model - turning it from a noun (Disabled person) into a verb - to be dis-abled.

My opinion is that I'm not disabled. I see disability as something that affects a person all the time, like blindness or being in a wheelchair. Those things cannot be changed.

The environment can be changed - why can't shopping malls or large stores stop playing music or doing loud announcements over tannoys? It doesn't benefit any of their customers. There is no reason why companies can't have quiet areas for staff to work in, and there are now more options for working from home if it suits an employee.

Also, there is no need to go to shopping malls any more - . I have my groceries delivered, so I don't need to go to a large store, and most other things can be ordered online.

Public transport is the most challenging for me, but most people don't like it - that's why they learn to drive. But you can wear headphones, read a book or browse the internet, and once when a bus was too crowded I got off at the next stop and waited for one that was less crowded. Everyone has challenges, and some NT people would prefer things to be more the way that suit autistic people.

• https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=A1AUdaH-EPM

This video also deals with that subject: she is trying to change the paradigm of disability from the medical model to the social model - turning it from a noun (Disabled person) into a verb - to be dis-abled.

My opinion is that I'm not disabled. I see disability as something that affects a person all the time, like blindness or being in a wheelchair. Those things cannot be changed.

The environment can be changed - why can't shopping malls or large stores stop playing music or doing loud announcements over tannoys? It doesn't benefit any of their customers. There is no reason why companies can't have quiet areas for staff to work in, and there are now more options for working from home if it suits an employee.

Also, there is no need to go to shopping malls any more - . I have my groceries delivered, so I don't need to go to a large store, and most other things can be ordered online.

Public transport is the most challenging for me, but most people don't like it - that's why they learn to drive. But you can wear headphones, read a book or browse the internet, and once when a bus was too crowded I got off at the next stop and waited for one that was less crowded. Everyone has challenges, and some NT people would prefer things to be more the way that suit autistic people.

Children
  • My opinion is that I'm not disabled. I see disability as something that affects a person all the time, like blindness or being in a wheelchair. Those things cannot be changed.

One way that the definition of disability has changed over time is by the recognition of fluctuating capacity and energy, this means that one day someone may be able to do everyday tasks and other activities, whereas other days they may need significant support. A key example of this is in the context of chronic illness as needs including support needs can change quite dramatically in a short period of time.

Also, our autistic neurology is often described as a dynamic neurotype given that our experiences and needs can change vastly depending on the environment and our spiky profile. A spiky profile describes a skill set which is significantly developed in one area but in contrast almost neglected in another (namely because of our monotropic cognitive style).