Are we disabled?

This question is controversial but I thought Jeremy Andrew Davis had an interesting take.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tdOp8XnTm6c

What do you all think?

Parents
  • I am not saying that people can’t identify as disabled

It's not 'identifying'.  It's what I am.

This sort of expression is very triggering and is negating us and our lifelong experiences.

Have you: been to college, been in a relationship, had a job, had children, purchased a house, moved home, suffered bereavement, been in hospital, been institutionalised - done any of the things in life that bring great challenges for autistic people, in life (not online)?

And of course for some people just getting out of bed in the morning is a challenge.

This isn't a theory, it's real life.

From Wikepedia:

"Disability is the experience of any condition that makes it more difficult for a person to do certain activities or have equitable access within a given society."

Maybe getting more life experience and the massive challanges we face in life is the key to recognising how disabling autism can be even for those of us who would be classified as having lower support needs.

We need more support, not to be told that we aren't disabled and therefore support isn't required.

If I am in a stressful situation in public now I'm very happy to tell people I'm autistic.

I was in hospital recently having someone talking to me before shoving a tube down my throat and at the very same time another person was talking to me trying to put a needle in my hand.

I was glad to be able to say I can't cope with this at the same time because I'm autistic.

The autism disabled me in that situation and my blood pressure had rocketed.

Don't tell me I'm not disabled when I know that my autism has affected every area of my life and held me back in very many ways.

I have 60+ years of experience of this.

• I think everyone should be free to identify as they want. Disabled or not disabled- whatever helps you and those around you the most. I’m not sure how I feel about it personally because I don’t like the idea of ‘being disabled’ just because I function differently and find some environments difficult to operate in- in a way labelling myself as disabled can be disabling as it somehow feels like iit is putting a limitation on what I can achieve. On the other hand sometimes, I think it can be helpful to acknowledge that I do have a hidden ‘disability’ and that some things are more difficult and I need to be kind to myself and I am entitled to ask for adjustments I need to function. I think it’s up to everyone to identify the way they feel comfortable and there are many ways to define disabled. I don’t really like this rigid labelling of language.

• I think everyone should be free to identify as they want. Disabled or not disabled- whatever helps you and those around you the most. I’m not sure how I feel about it personally because I don’t like the idea of ‘being disabled’ just because I function differently and find some environments difficult to operate in- in a way labelling myself as disabled can be disabling as it somehow feels like iit is putting a limitation on what I can achieve. On the other hand sometimes, I think it can be helpful to acknowledge that I do have a hidden ‘disability’ and that some things are more difficult and I need to be kind to myself and I am entitled to ask for adjustments I need to function. I think it’s up to everyone to identify the way they feel comfortable and there are many ways to define disabled. I don’t really like this rigid labelling of language.

Children
No Data