Are we disabled?

This question is controversial but I thought Jeremy Andrew Davis had an interesting take.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tdOp8XnTm6c

What do you all think?

Parents Reply
  • It would be good if autistic people with high support needs were able to answer this.

I agree. 

I would hate to be so arrogant as to assume that because there are certain things I can do in life, others with autism aren't disabled or more disabled by it.

Are you saying overall you are not disabled? Because others with higher support needs may disagree you dont have a set position?  

Children
  • How are we to know whether members of our fellow neurokin currently answering the original question wouldn’t identify with such support needs?

Equally, ‘high support needs’ is usually an inaccurate way of describing members of our community whose support needs actually derive from co-occurring experiences such as apraxia, learning disability, epilepsy, mental health needs etc…

For example, many members of our community who would be considered to have high support needs are nonspeakers because of apraxia not simply because they are autistic.

It would be good if autistic people with high support needs were able to answer this.