Generation Anxiety: smartphones have created a gen Z mental health crisis – but there are ways to fix it

Parents
  • I can’t talk about anybody. I am a young guy and am currently addicted to my phone. I wonder how the coming generation will handle the world. I feel kinda sorry for the upcoming generation I mean they have it so hard compared to the older generations who had it relatively easy in comparison. I know older generations had their struggles also but I think todays youth still have it way harder. I mean todays youth have to deal with the threat of WW3 which would blow both WW1 and WW2 out of the water in terms of severity. I mean we’re dealing with nuclear weapons here and cyber robots with guns that can sense your movements and breathe from a mile away. Real scary stuff. Ever watched black mirror that tv series scared me at the time it came out in 2016 because it portrayed the future and the dark side of technology and now it’s practically here everything they showed us in the tv series it’s here. Terminators are real now how scary is that? 

• I mean todays youth have to deal with the threat of WW3 which would blow both WW1 and WW2 out of the water in terms of severity.

When I was growing up everyone absolutely *knew* we were going to die in a nuclear war. It wasn’t a threat or an abstract possibility, it was an absolute expectation. 

In the 1980s there was a film called Threads about a nuclear attack on Sheffield and the aftermath of the war. It was utterly sickening and horrifying, precisely because we had the absolute expectation it was going to happen.

m.imdb.com/.../

• When I was growing up everyone absolutely *knew* we were going to die in a nuclear war. It wasn’t a threat or an abstract possibility, it was an absolute expectation. 

Yes.  I was an active member of CND.

Reply Children
  • The 80’s in my teens growing up in Rural Ireland for me was a largely sheltered time, but in later years I discovered that it was also a decade of intense greed and selfish consumerism, tempered only by the warnings and predictions of our grandparents generation, which were never taken seriously, heeded nor acted upon by our parents, who were fresh from the hedonism of the 60’s & 70’s, which we later discovered was a very morally dangerous position for them to take, which as our grandparents correctly and accurately predicted, despite their initial complacency in the 50’s, later led to serious consequences, as our grandparents, being traditional Catholics, really took their faith seriously - I only discovered the truth in my parents generation’s old age where we had a masterclass in the heavy price that our parents generation paid, many decades after our grandparents passing, whom we realised were correct and accurate all along, only after we had passed out of the confusion of our teenage years and where the mantle of responsibility passed to our generation, especially those of us who are parents and even grandparents ourselves - this was further emphasised to us during the emotional roller coaster of Covid and having returned to the Traditional Catholic Faith 18 years previously and away from the gay community, the revelations that came out during Covid further showed me that I was on the correct path 

• "Duck and cover." We were all waiting for the other shoe.

www.youtube.com/watch

But then.. the adults got totally distracted with the shiny new "credit cards" and the 2.5 kid count. Consumerism distracted them, expecting such great expectations till the bills came due.