Generation Anxiety: smartphones have created a gen Z mental health crisis – but there are ways to fix it

Parents
  • Do you have a smartphone and if not, why not?

Does the absence isolate you?

Also, what is your relationship with your phone?

I keep mine at as good a distance emotionally and intellectually as I can manage, but having a rather obsessive personality, I find myself checking it more often than I would like.

However, I do turn off all notifications for peace of mind.

• I have a phone. I got one a few years ago for my 13th birthday. My Mum says I use it too much, I think she thinks I'm up to mischief which isn't true. 

On my phone I spend most of my time looking up things I'm interested in, as I really like learning about things like that. I like to use YT and watch music videos or interviews of my fav celebs. I browse eBay and look at all the things I want to buy, some of them are realistic and others are my biggest dream buys like diamond necklaces which I'll probably never afford in my wildest dreams!

I like looking up pics of my fav celebs like Taylor Swift, admiring her appearance and wishing I could look like her or sing like her.

Sometimes I play games on my phone but not often.

I like that I can access online communities like this one, that gives me the interaction I need in my life without actually having to go out and interact. Without technology I would be totally isolated and alone.

My relationship with it is good, healthy IMO. I don't think it affects my mental health. 

I likely spend too much time on it. My phone records my daily screen time and generally I'll spend between 14-16 hours on my phone each day. But I've got insomnia as well and this is generally what I use when I can't sleep.

I could live without it. I would use my laptop like I used to when I was growing up but I like how easy and simple smartphones are. They're accessible and I like that.

I always keep my phone on silent so it doesn't ring and I don't get bombarded with notifications. Then again I rarely get notifications anyway.

I try to never talk on my phone if I can help it. 

• I like that your phone keeps you curious and interested in finding out new things. Is it handy for classwork and assignments too? I would have liked that, growing up. I had this series of (out of date) heavy tomes called "encyclopedia Britannica". One needed a book-rest to use it. And there was the library. I think the smart phone, from what you say has taken over a great deal of the heavy lifting research librarians used to do for us.

It is also really nice have access to a global community too. Staying connected has gotten a lot easier!

• I like that your phone keeps you curious and interested in finding out new things. Is it handy for classwork and assignments too? I would have liked that, growing up. I had this series of (out of date) heavy tomes called "encyclopedia Britannica". One needed a book-rest to use it. And there was the library. I think the smart phone, from what you say has taken over a great deal of the heavy lifting research librarians used to do for us.

It is also really nice have access to a global community too. Staying connected has gotten a lot easier!

Children
No Data