Generation Anxiety: smartphones have created a gen Z mental health crisis – but there are ways to fix it

Parents
  • Yes, I think those of us who have seen both sides of the technology are lucky - giving us a perspective on how different life can be. It makes me wonder how it will affect younger generations and what they grow to be?

The obsessive thing isn't a great mix is it? I think this phone has actually made things worse in that regard.

Really, the only useful thing my smart phone does is maps and live traffic. I found early phones that just made calls & texts were ok though.

• Yes, I think those of us who have seen both sides of the technology are lucky - giving us a perspective on how different life can be

I think this is true in a great deal of daily life now, as much of it is run by what was once referred to as 'new' technology.

One of the downsides of life nowadays in my view is the pace.

When I was young, life could be much slower and because it wasn't so 'joined up' you could just be away from the world without any concern.

An online friend recently used the acronym FOMO (fear of missing out) which is clearly a 'thing' nowadays.

I feel I have a choice whether to engage or not (apart from my obsessiveness) but that article implies that that is much much harder for 'Generation Z'.

It makes me wonder how it will affect younger generations and what they grow to be?

I have some step-grandchildren now, all under 10, and I feel concern about how the future will be for them.

• Yes, I think those of us who have seen both sides of the technology are lucky - giving us a perspective on how different life can be

I think this is true in a great deal of daily life now, as much of it is run by what was once referred to as 'new' technology.

One of the downsides of life nowadays in my view is the pace.

When I was young, life could be much slower and because it wasn't so 'joined up' you could just be away from the world without any concern.

An online friend recently used the acronym FOMO (fear of missing out) which is clearly a 'thing' nowadays.

I feel I have a choice whether to engage or not (apart from my obsessiveness) but that article implies that that is much much harder for 'Generation Z'.

It makes me wonder how it will affect younger generations and what they grow to be?

I have some step-grandchildren now, all under 10, and I feel concern about how the future will be for them.

Children