Fear of people seeing me seeing them

Hi

I'm not sure if my questions are even autism related or if it's just me but I'll ask anyway.

For the whole of my life, I've hated people outside seeing me in my house. Even if I'm stood looking out my window and a neighbour comes out of their house onto the street. I hide so they don't see me but it happens so often that they must have seen me hiding. If I bump into them outside or when leaving the house it isn't a problem but we've never brought up the weirdness of me hiding from them. Actually, now I think about it, if I see somebody I know in Tesco and they haven't seen me, I always hide.

So, my questions: is this an autism thing? Can I get over this fear of people seeing me seeing them? Should I bring up that weird behaviour next time I'm talking to a neighbour?

Thanks

Parents
  • I often spend time looking out of my windows watching the world go by. Whilst I don't usually feel compelled to hide myself from view, I can sometimes feel uncomfortable when it becomes obvious that people are looking back at me. Where I live there can sometimes be suspicious activity, so when I look out of my windows it can be because I want to see if there are any decidedly dodgy dealings taking place.

One thing that does make me feel bad is if I'm walking past homes when it's dark. If the lights are on and I can see into the homes, I find I automatically tend to look if I'm aware of movement. I dare say that if the people living in those homes were bothered by passers-by looking in, then they would probably close their curtains/blinds. However, when I know they have seen me looking in, I can't help but feel a tad guilty... as though I'm invading their privacy.

• I often spend time looking out of my windows watching the world go by. Whilst I don't usually feel compelled to hide myself from view, I can sometimes feel uncomfortable when it becomes obvious that people are looking back at me. Where I live there can sometimes be suspicious activity, so when I look out of my windows it can be because I want to see if there are any decidedly dodgy dealings taking place.

One thing that does make me feel bad is if I'm walking past homes when it's dark. If the lights are on and I can see into the homes, I find I automatically tend to look if I'm aware of movement. I dare say that if the people living in those homes were bothered by passers-by looking in, then they would probably close their curtains/blinds. However, when I know they have seen me looking in, I can't help but feel a tad guilty... as though I'm invading their privacy.

Children
No Data