Autistic traits in 72 year old dad

Hi! I was diagnosed autistic as a 32 year old last year, and during my "journey of realisation" I've noticed that my 72 year old dad exhibits most of the same traits as I do. These include stimming, hyper awareness of noise and texture, niche interests, not being great at following conversation flow etc. He's never had an autism diagnosis. I suspect the reason I wasn't sent for one as a child was he just thought my behavior was "normal"!

Just being aware of it has really helped my relationship with him as things I used to be irritated at I can now explain away as just his undiagnosed autism, but I was wondering if there would be any benefit to bringing my suspicions up with him? Would it help at all or is it just too late?

I'd love to hear from anyone who got a diagnoses at a later stage of life to hear more about their experiences. Also I'd welcome solidarity posts from anyone who's had the same experience. 

Parents
  • Hi, I’m 68 and was diagnosed with ASD last year. I requested assessment to enable me to access medical services. I could not contemplate any treatment that might involve hospital admittance since my ability to control my fight or flight response has decreased with age and energy level. I now feel that I could ask for patience and compassion from medical staff.

I had no idea that I might be autistic until a couple of years ago. My life has not changed  - it’s just as wonderful as ever. However I no longer expect other people to understand me or my feelings (neurotypical people just can’t) and I do not feel the need to apologise for being myself so much.

Enjoy your relationship with your Dad

• Hi, I’m 68 and was diagnosed with ASD last year. I requested assessment to enable me to access medical services. I could not contemplate any treatment that might involve hospital admittance since my ability to control my fight or flight response has decreased with age and energy level. I now feel that I could ask for patience and compassion from medical staff.

I had no idea that I might be autistic until a couple of years ago. My life has not changed  - it’s just as wonderful as ever. However I no longer expect other people to understand me or my feelings (neurotypical people just can’t) and I do not feel the need to apologise for being myself so much.

Enjoy your relationship with your Dad

Children
No Data