I stopped drinking alcohol

Are things better? Yes. I've lost weight, I got a stylish haircut, I comb my hair every day, have baths more regularly and use deodorant every day, have more new clothes, I shaved off an unkempt beard, I eat more freshly prepared meals, relations are less strained with my parents, I'm less depressed than I was, I have more energy to do things and enjoy hobbies I'd stopped enjoying like reading, watching TV and doing research.

However, I'm lonely. I know alcohol isn't the answer. I will no longer make excuses about how alcohol can fix things, it will not. I've joined a new National Autistic Society social group where I live and will keep going, hoping for the best. I've only been once and only two other Autistic people attended, there were two people running it as well (it's possible they were Autistic too, for all I know).

On the bright side, three women in local supermarkets I shop at have complimented me on my appearance, one of them said I looked like I've had a makeover, another said I am looking really good and she could hardly believe I was the same person. There's also a man I know who had chatted to me a few times when I was a drunk and he saw the new me and was taken aback and asked me if he could have a selfie with me.

I still have severe anxiety and struggle to demonstrate empathy for others. I'm still finding it hard to make conversation with people and it is often stilted and terse.

Two positive things, the next time I go to the GP, they can not dismiss any of my problems based on alcoholism as that will no longer be relevant, and social services had told me if I got sober they would be looking into giving me one-to-one support so that could be in the pipeline, I asked my social worker at the last meeting and he said I need to be sober for a bit longer first.

Parents
  • Congratulations on stopping drinking alcohol.  There is evidence coming to light that suggest alcohol is often used as a coping mechanism / masking tool for people with ASD.

I hope you get positive responses from other services, because expecting you to abstain from alcohol for some time they imagine is correct sounds very unfair. Maybe I could suggest re-engaging with social services and ask them to provide you with an Autism trained or Autistic social worker. You may find engagement is easier when your needs are better understood.

• Yeh it could be a masking tool or it could just be plain addictive to autistic people because of the neurobiology. Alcohol is a powerful drug that produces a euphoric high because it binds to and activates dopamine receptors in the brains reward centre. I didn’t drink to mask or anything. I just drank because I loved feeling euphoric. That’s probably the reason why anyone drinks I guess. 

• Hi Yellow Tree, the evidence suggests that alcohol addiction tends to come from using it for self-medicating purposes, not simply the buzz on gets from it.

Reply Children
No Data