Struggling to get and maintain employment

I have over 10 year’s worth of administrative experience behind me, but I am struggling to get jobs and maintain them, not because I struggle with the work but because I struggle being around people for hours and hours at a time. I was getting through interviews before much better than I am now even with the struggles. But now I am not even getting the interviews so I am out of experience with them. I am 38, and have not had very many stable jobs, only temporary work in the last few years. I would love a hybrid role where I can spend some days at home and some days in an office. I only recently got diagnosed in the past 2 months.

What has your experience with employment been like?

Parents
  • I used to work factories, especially night shift work where human contact is almost zero. Now I have to work in the office. Thankfully, I used my official diagnosis to get full WFH as "Workplace adjustment". I had to mask HARD for the first two months to pass probation. No wonder why 85% of aspies are unemployed and many of the employed one are underemployed.

My chances of having a career are almost zero. I just cannot play the office social games, and I am not good at brown nosing and bootlicking. People are impressed by my technical skills, but they talk behind my back calling me "weird", "crazy" and worse.

I would have had a much better life if I were born legless, but without ASD. ASD is not a superpower, it's an horrible disability that cripples all your life.

• I used to work factories, especially night shift work where human contact is almost zero. Now I have to work in the office. Thankfully, I used my official diagnosis to get full WFH as "Workplace adjustment". I had to mask HARD for the first two months to pass probation. No wonder why 85% of aspies are unemployed and many of the employed one are underemployed.

My chances of having a career are almost zero. I just cannot play the office social games, and I am not good at brown nosing and bootlicking. People are impressed by my technical skills, but they talk behind my back calling me "weird", "crazy" and worse.

I would have had a much better life if I were born legless, but without ASD. ASD is not a superpower, it's an horrible disability that cripples all your life.

Children
No Data