Unmasking/ communicating authentically

Does anybody have any tips on how to communicate in ways that feel fully true to you in situations where fully unmasking would not feel safe? 

Background story:

I was recently at a social gathering and a recent acquaintance told me that they felt like "I was putting on a mask" during our conversation. That took me aback a little, since masking has become almost my second nature at this point, and people seldom seem to notice. But this person somehow could tell!

I initially felt hurt by this person's remark, and then realised that it shows how much I've started to identify with my masking. They were right, after all - I was indeed putting on a mask, trying to interact in a neurotypical way. The issue is, I think they thought I was trying to hide something more than my autism, as if I was trying to manipulate - which I don't want. 

Of course I wish I could communicate 100% authentically without any masking at all - and at the same time I often do not feel fully safe to unmask. I've experienced a lot of bullying growing up for communicating how it feels most authentic to me - like skipping small talk to share interesting facts about bugs or planets, avoiding eye contact, or making occasional strange faces and gestures. Sadly, I keep noticing how there is still so much discrimination against those of us who don't conform to neurotypical ways of communicating. 

Finding a more authentic way to communicate would be kinder to me, and more fair to those around me. I know that I can be fully myself around people I trust, but I worry that I would be discriminated against in social situations with people I don't fully know/trust. I feel like I'm stuck in a lose-lose-lose situation! 

I would be super grateful for any advice. 

If you read this far, thank you! 

• Finding a more authentic way to communicate would be kinder to me, and more fair to those around me

This is actually a bit of a tricky one - easy to say but far from easy to do and for others to accept.

We mask to appear like others - to blend in. When we start to be authentic then is shows a change in character to others - they will wonder why we are being different, behaving oddly and being "weird".

If those you are communicating with are not understanding of autism and masking then it can be hard to get them to accept it as authentic, after all we were perfectly normal before so something is off...

I have always found that it is only worth the effory of being authentic with those I care about and who understand. The others get the masked facade of normality with the least effort put in.

To get to this stage you have to be able to stop caring what others think - the insignificant others that is.

You have only got so much energy to go round so use it wisely.