exchanging mental pain with physical pain

hi guys,

since I was a tot if I was mentally struggling I would instead of discussing that, I would say Ive hurt myself such as a foot. this would happen even without my acknowledgment as well. This has continued into my adulthood and now not sure where I have physical pain and mental pain going on there is no clear understanding whether the physical pain is real to where it is or whether it is real but through me swapping it through my mental wellbeing. If that makes any sense what's so ever! im wandering if anyone else has this issue and if anyone knows how to deal with it maybe?

Parents
  • since I was a tot if I was mentally struggling I would instead of discussing that, I would say Ive hurt myself such as a foot

I dont do this exactly but I do something similar. When I am strugglung mentally, then I like to imagine that I got hurt (like fell off a cliff or stabbed or something) and then I imagine someone finding me and helping me. For me I think its easier to get help when your hurting physically than mentally. People can see when youve hurt your foot and they can understand that and they can help, but when you say your hurting emotionally then they dont understand and its hard to explain and they really cant do anything to help that much. So I think its easier to try to change that mental pain into physical pain because youre so desperate to have people know youre hurting. Thats what I think anyway.

But also I have a hard time even understanding or explaining how im feeling alot (especially as it can be so complex) but its quite simple to say "my foot hurts"

• since I was a tot if I was mentally struggling I would instead of discussing that, I would say Ive hurt myself such as a foot

I dont do this exactly but I do something similar. When I am strugglung mentally, then I like to imagine that I got hurt (like fell off a cliff or stabbed or something) and then I imagine someone finding me and helping me. For me I think its easier to get help when your hurting physically than mentally. People can see when youve hurt your foot and they can understand that and they can help, but when you say your hurting emotionally then they dont understand and its hard to explain and they really cant do anything to help that much. So I think its easier to try to change that mental pain into physical pain because youre so desperate to have people know youre hurting. Thats what I think anyway.

But also I have a hard time even understanding or explaining how im feeling alot (especially as it can be so complex) but its quite simple to say "my foot hurts"

Children
No Data