Parents of autistic adults.

Hi.. iam brand new on here and feel super nervous even writing this.

My 25 year old son has challenges in adult life and iam asking as a mom if other parents feel lost or stuck in life.

Parents
  • Hi CAPYBARA. MEL., 

I'm 32 and still have challenges, what stands out to me is "feel lost or stuck in life." What is lost can be found, and 'what is life?' is a subjective question. 

My Dad and a few other people in my family are the only support I have, my Dad took my advice. I advised him to stop allowing societal expectations to interfere with his own view of what is life. All the expectations like we should be able to do certain things by a certain age are man-made narratives by Francis Galton, Karl Pearson, and Ronald Fisher, 3 eugenecists in the 19th and early 20th century.  

I reminded him he doesn't have to follow narratives, especially when he sees something about the social norm as immoral. If you don’t want to be a follower of racist eugenecists you'll need to let go of all the milestones, once you come to acceptance that there's nothing wrong about having unusual challenges and that life is not socially deterministic, it becomes easier to accept the challenges and provide help and support.

Something else to remember is that disabilities are contextual, who's disabled is determined by social context and not a person's biology. That's why there's a relationship between social settings and disability. 

• Hi CAPYBARA. MEL., 

I'm 32 and still have challenges, what stands out to me is "feel lost or stuck in life." What is lost can be found, and 'what is life?' is a subjective question. 

My Dad and a few other people in my family are the only support I have, my Dad took my advice. I advised him to stop allowing societal expectations to interfere with his own view of what is life. All the expectations like we should be able to do certain things by a certain age are man-made narratives by Francis Galton, Karl Pearson, and Ronald Fisher, 3 eugenecists in the 19th and early 20th century.  

I reminded him he doesn't have to follow narratives, especially when he sees something about the social norm as immoral. If you don’t want to be a follower of racist eugenecists you'll need to let go of all the milestones, once you come to acceptance that there's nothing wrong about having unusual challenges and that life is not socially deterministic, it becomes easier to accept the challenges and provide help and support.

Something else to remember is that disabilities are contextual, who's disabled is determined by social context and not a person's biology. That's why there's a relationship between social settings and disability. 

Children
No Data