The Good Old Times - Bittersweet memories

The good old days, eh?

Older generations, say from mid 30's onwards, speak of how things were better in the good old days.

I believe that I have been blessed with a good life, with many great experiences. Oh course there were experiences that were not so great.

The thing is, when I look back on those experiences, the times, the places, the things I did - I should be grateful.
Yes, I am grateful, but I am also filled with what can be an overwhelming sadness.
Sadness that those days are long gone, the World has changed, I've gotten older (53), my health has declined.

Sure, you don't have to be autistic to have those mournful thoughts for what once was, but does being autistic make it that much harder?

Parents
  • One of my most upsetting dreams is being back in time to just before my A level exams, with the horrifying thought that I had to go through all the crap of early adulthood again. So no, it wasn't better back in 1979, not for me. Of course, not having some of the chronic health issues I have now would be pleasant, but it would not outweigh the horrid discomfort I had just being me back then.

• One of my most upsetting dreams is being back in time to just before my A level exams, with the horrifying thought that I had to go through all the crap of early adulthood again. So no, it wasn't better back in 1979, not for me. Of course, not having some of the chronic health issues I have now would be pleasant, but it would not outweigh the horrid discomfort I had just being me back then.

Children
No Data