The Good Old Times - Bittersweet memories

The good old days, eh?

Older generations, say from mid 30's onwards, speak of how things were better in the good old days.

I believe that I have been blessed with a good life, with many great experiences. Oh course there were experiences that were not so great.

The thing is, when I look back on those experiences, the times, the places, the things I did - I should be grateful.
Yes, I am grateful, but I am also filled with what can be an overwhelming sadness.
Sadness that those days are long gone, the World has changed, I've gotten older (53), my health has declined.

Sure, you don't have to be autistic to have those mournful thoughts for what once was, but does being autistic make it that much harder?

Parents
  • Have you noticed, that all those best years that people say they had was always when they were young. The advantage of youth is that you can be blissfully ignorant about the struggles everyone is having, so it never effects you the same way it affects older people. 

The past is a two edged sword, on one hand it gives you fond memories that you wish was still here. on the other hand it hid horrors that that you may never know. The benefit of hindsight tells me, that the reason I never knew I was autistic, was because nobody else knew either. and the pain and stress that I and others like me went through, was all caused by ignorance. 

The more we learn, the more we can help prevent suffering, not just for people on the spectrum but for those that we don't realise yet are suffering. Yes remember the past with a smile but strive for tomorrow, because tomorrow doesn't just bring understanding, it brings hope.

• Have you noticed, that all those best years that people say they had was always when they were young. The advantage of youth is that you can be blissfully ignorant about the struggles everyone is having, so it never effects you the same way it affects older people. 

The past is a two edged sword, on one hand it gives you fond memories that you wish was still here. on the other hand it hid horrors that that you may never know. The benefit of hindsight tells me, that the reason I never knew I was autistic, was because nobody else knew either. and the pain and stress that I and others like me went through, was all caused by ignorance. 

The more we learn, the more we can help prevent suffering, not just for people on the spectrum but for those that we don't realise yet are suffering. Yes remember the past with a smile but strive for tomorrow, because tomorrow doesn't just bring understanding, it brings hope.

Children
No Data