The Good Old Times - Bittersweet memories

The good old days, eh?

Older generations, say from mid 30's onwards, speak of how things were better in the good old days.

I believe that I have been blessed with a good life, with many great experiences. Oh course there were experiences that were not so great.

The thing is, when I look back on those experiences, the times, the places, the things I did - I should be grateful.
Yes, I am grateful, but I am also filled with what can be an overwhelming sadness.
Sadness that those days are long gone, the World has changed, I've gotten older (53), my health has declined.

Sure, you don't have to be autistic to have those mournful thoughts for what once was, but does being autistic make it that much harder?

Parents
  • Sorry I cannot relate. I was born in 21st century so all I have ever known is the world we have now. The world where there is constant wars, terrorist attacks, food shortages, fuel poverty, endless lockdowns, lonely people, hatred, violence. I don’t remember the last time I seen a positive news story about anything. What is this world I find myself in? I am only a young man but for one thing I sure don’t know if I’d even want to bring children into this world for what it has become. What future would they have? Even when I was a kid the world was a nicer place even though 9/11 had just happened and everyone was semi on edge about it. But it just seems to get wilder and more chaotic every year that goes by. I find myself wonder what the major thing to happen this year will be?

• Sorry I cannot relate. I was born in 21st century so all I have ever known is the world we have now. The world where there is constant wars, terrorist attacks, food shortages, fuel poverty, endless lockdowns, lonely people, hatred, violence. I don’t remember the last time I seen a positive news story about anything. What is this world I find myself in? I am only a young man but for one thing I sure don’t know if I’d even want to bring children into this world for what it has become. What future would they have? Even when I was a kid the world was a nicer place even though 9/11 had just happened and everyone was semi on edge about it. But it just seems to get wilder and more chaotic every year that goes by. I find myself wonder what the major thing to happen this year will be?

Children
  • Apart from the end-lesss lock downs ( unless you were a Palestinian) all things you list here were around since the forever. the one new thing new is the crowding. there are SO many more people now than before. It's getting pretty crowded. That's the one thing that I notice and that when disaster strikes it affects that many more people. in the 50s we had the red scare, reefer madness, polio, scant vaccines, AS peeps in institutions for the insane on shock therapy, institutionalized marital rape, forced marriage etc. etc. These days we just have a new set of things to focus all that primal litany you mentioned on but it's part of the human, no matter how they are wired, psyche.