Neurotypical seeking advice on navigating a new relationship with an autistic individual.

Hi there, for a little background, I have known this person for some time, and we have had a friendship which has crossed over into something more on a number of occasions. We’ve recently decided to try giving a relationship a go (long distance).

I am finding this hard to navigate as we rely on mostly texting and can’t see each other often. After doing some research I think they may be in autistic burnout, and have shared their mental state is quite bad. I know when they feel low they tend to shut off.

I crave connection and reassurance as I am a very anxious person and I now realise I handled their quietness totally wrong, I tried repeatedly to engage in conversation when really I should’ve given them space.

I feel awful because I so want this to work out, but I’m struggling with very minimal conversation and not knowing how they feel about me a lot of the time. 

Am I making their mental health worse with the pressure of a new relationship? Is there a way through this? Am I asking too much if I want them to let me know how they feel about me more often? How can I be there for them, whilst giving them space and also not feeling totally alone myself?

I have the best of intentions are care about them so much but I feel very stuck with how we are, and yet I don’t want to give up, because I want them to know I care whether they are sad, happy, depressed or anything else in between. 

Parents
  • Tell them you love them unconditionally. You will always be there for them. Ask them what they need from you in terms of their Autistic difficulties, and then if they do not reciprocate I guess it is a sign they are not the right person you, but I will you assume they will, and have a toast to your success.

• Thank you, I checked in and they needed some space from the outside world to reset, it’s a work in progress for me in navigating my responses but things are feeling better 

Reply Children
No Data