Autism Exploited

In an ongoing matter involving Social Services, a social worker, an independent social worker, a hospital official, a representative of CAFCASS, and even her own legal representation, my autistic niece has been disallowed any kind of support during all encounters with all parties. Her diagnosis is a matter of record, and  known to all, and yet it has been universally and systematically disregarded.

Each of the aforementioned parties makes it's own interpretation as it sees fit, and in many cases, her words have been chosen for her..

Does anyone have any comment or advice..?

Parents
  • Are you able to find an advocate for your niece?

my autistic niece has been disallowed any kind of support during all encounters with all parties.

What kind of support are you looking for?

Do you have a set of criteria for this support that your niece meets but the support is still being denied or is she not meeting the criteria?

Her diagnosis is a matter of record, and  known to all, and yet it has been universally and systematically disregarded.

A simple diagnosis isn't enough to get some kinds of support eg. PIP.

The criteria have to be met.

More detail would be useful.

• Whenever I hear things like “the criteria have to be met” it makes my blood boil as much as “not meeting the criteria” or “what kind of support is she looking for” - where is the humanity in any of this? The “criteria” and the system needs to be changed - it’s the same kind of utterly absurd mindset as the concept of “everyone else” which is the same justification that bullies use to justify and excuse their bullying behaviour - what about just giving her the benefit of the doubt and err on the side of basic humanity and not by rote, stick like glue to “policies and procedures, rules and regulations” abandoning all humanity, compassion and common sense in favour of an arbitrary “process” 

• Hahaha, friend I hear you..!

Indeed, where is the humanity in this disastarous world..?

To be fair, I think Debbie means well. but doesn't yet realise what a jarring trigger talk of policy and criteria will be to many people here.

• Speaking as a born and raised Catholic, I must defend our friend IrishInManc. I think there's a subtelty to his comments, not immediately apparent to the non-Catholic. It's something I'm guilty of myself, but it's the inevitable outcome of the many contradictions inherent to a Catholic upbringing.

Contradiction is bred into us, for instance, I always identify as a 'born Catholic', but never omit to mention that like any 'good Catholic boy' I am a committed, but not militant, atheist. 'Good Catholic girls' however are something I can't comment on, as I'm not entirely convinced any such creeature actually exists... :-D Just for you that IrishInManc ;)

Sorry BakedPotato, I'm not trying to turn this into CatholicismFest2024, it's just we're a bit of an odd lot, but cut us some slack, we've got all sorts of resurrections and virgin birth to deal with over here, and then there's the whole Mafia, Vatican, kiddyfiddler cover up... Ah shite, it's as well our top man is a Jewish fella eh, otherwise we'd have no credibility whatsoever..!

See what I mean, contradiction, it's our daily bread.

• Speaking as a born and raised Catholic, I must defend our friend IrishInManc. I think there's a subtelty to his comments, not immediately apparent to the non-Catholic. It's something I'm guilty of myself, but it's the inevitable outcome of the many contradictions inherent to a Catholic upbringing.

Contradiction is bred into us, for instance, I always identify as a 'born Catholic', but never omit to mention that like any 'good Catholic boy' I am a committed, but not militant, atheist. 'Good Catholic girls' however are something I can't comment on, as I'm not entirely convinced any such creeature actually exists... :-D Just for you that IrishInManc ;)

Sorry BakedPotato, I'm not trying to turn this into CatholicismFest2024, it's just we're a bit of an odd lot, but cut us some slack, we've got all sorts of resurrections and virgin birth to deal with over here, and then there's the whole Mafia, Vatican, kiddyfiddler cover up... Ah shite, it's as well our top man is a Jewish fella eh, otherwise we'd have no credibility whatsoever..!

See what I mean, contradiction, it's our daily bread.

Children
No Data