Feeling lonely

I'm feeling quite frustrated with myself because I feel lonely. I'm 24, female, married, but don't have any friends at all. I work full-time and get on with everyone at work, but outside of work I don't have any friends, and I'm starting to feel alone. 

The difficulty is that I want to make friends but I don't like people (which sounds awful and weird), and I prefer my own company, but at the same time I like to still talk and have friends. 

I've had a friend group growing up but I feel like I've always been on the edge of it, like they don't like me or want to spend time with me. I never got invited to anything, always last choice to hang with, and I feel like this has carried into my adult years. 

I kind of feel stuck in this odd limbo of wanting friends but just can't get over the finding them, anxiety, stress, social situations, all that sort of stuff. I was diagnosed in 2021, it has helped explain why my brain works the way it does, but I do feel like I'm grieving all the things I missed out on because I didn't have the support I needed growing up.

Not sure what I'm asking for by posting this... maybe to make some friends? some tips/advice? 

Any insight/other perspectives would be helpful. :-) 

Parents
  • Do you think this is something your partner would be willing to help you with?

I don't want to give unsolicited advice or anything but what I could suggest is, if you haven't already, thinking about what you would want specifically from a friendship in terms of what feels right to you.

• Potentially, although I think he can struggle to understand how I'm feeling about these sorts of things. I'm friends with a couple of his friends, but I feel like it's based on association. 

Thanks for the advice :-)

I would have to think about it, I'm honestly not sure what a friendship would ideally be like for me. I can go months without talking to anyone, messaging, but still stay in touch. I just think I am worried that because of this people think I'm rude or a bad friend. 

People are so hard to understand! Lol

• Yeah, I think it's largely about communication - I'll admit that I'd be the kind of person who, if I was friends with someone and they disappeared for months here and there, I'd be questioning where they stand. However, if we had a conversation about it and we promised to be open with each other if anything changes, then I wouldn't have an issue.

Thinking about the things you like is a starting point at least, but also maybe whether the person energises you or drains you. You want someone who you feel you can easily talk to, if that makes sense.

• Yeah, I think it's largely about communication - I'll admit that I'd be the kind of person who, if I was friends with someone and they disappeared for months here and there, I'd be questioning where they stand. However, if we had a conversation about it and we promised to be open with each other if anything changes, then I wouldn't have an issue.

Thinking about the things you like is a starting point at least, but also maybe whether the person energises you or drains you. You want someone who you feel you can easily talk to, if that makes sense.

Children
No Data