Talking on the phone

Hi all! 

For context, I'm an autistic female, work full time as a copywriter for a small business (2 years, there's only 5 of us), and just recently had a training session on sourcing new business/handling enquiries. I know of the process already, but as we are starting to grow we have all been introduced to the prospecting process with the expectation to start sourcing new business.

This process involves answering any email enquiries and booking in a call with the client, then having a second call/more in depth meeting after, before sending off a proposal. 

I find phone calls painfully difficult - waiting to answer the phone or call people cause immense anxiety and pain, just the thought of the unknown, struggling with small talk, and knowing what to say/how to respond. I feel out of control in these situations and can't plan what I'm going to say, which is 10x worse when it's talking to a stranger.

It all makes me very frustrated as I want to be able to contribute the same as everyone else.

My work knows I'm autistic and are aware I need extra support with social things, but it would also be helpful to hear from other ND people on the topic. 

How do you guys feel more comfortable with phone calls? Any tips?

TLDR - Struggle to answer phone calls/call people, got to do it at work, need advice.

Parents
  • I found having a few written scripts, not necessarily in great detail, designed to cope with most scenarios, helped with the anxiety. I was selectively mute as a small child and having a written script handy takes the dread of suddenly not knowing what to say away.

• Thanks for the advice, I'll get my boss to put a crib sheet together of questions I should ask and a general structure of the call. :-)

Reply Children
No Data