Talking on the phone

Hi all! 

For context, I'm an autistic female, work full time as a copywriter for a small business (2 years, there's only 5 of us), and just recently had a training session on sourcing new business/handling enquiries. I know of the process already, but as we are starting to grow we have all been introduced to the prospecting process with the expectation to start sourcing new business.

This process involves answering any email enquiries and booking in a call with the client, then having a second call/more in depth meeting after, before sending off a proposal. 

I find phone calls painfully difficult - waiting to answer the phone or call people cause immense anxiety and pain, just the thought of the unknown, struggling with small talk, and knowing what to say/how to respond. I feel out of control in these situations and can't plan what I'm going to say, which is 10x worse when it's talking to a stranger.

It all makes me very frustrated as I want to be able to contribute the same as everyone else.

My work knows I'm autistic and are aware I need extra support with social things, but it would also be helpful to hear from other ND people on the topic. 

How do you guys feel more comfortable with phone calls? Any tips?

TLDR - Struggle to answer phone calls/call people, got to do it at work, need advice.

• I am not familiar with what your conversations might be, but have put notes below of what I do in my job.

I make a note of any questions I might need to ask.

I also make a note of key phrases that might be useful as I have a tendency to forget words during conversations.

Another thing I find can throw me is ansaphones, so it helps to prepare a message before calling in case they don't answer.

In respect of emails I keep a note on a word document of any good phrases, so I can copy and paste.

• I'm a copywriter (freelance) and turn down any work that involves calls. I cannot process the noises coming from the phone into words fast enough to respond. In the very unlikely situation that I manage to maintain conversation without the other person hanging up because they think the line is dead (usual outcome) I come off the phone and realise I've agreed to all kinds of things I can't do, relayed incorrect information, or forgotten everything that was said because I was focusing so hard on the mechanics of the conversation that I was unaware of its contents.

When I was 18 my mother decided I needed practice at phone calls so got me a job in a call center. I got worse at it with practice.

• Thanks for the advice, I'll get my boss to put a crib sheet together of questions I should ask and a general structure of the call. :-)

• Thanks! Congrats to you too as I know it can be a difficult role sometimes! I work in social media, so it's very fast paced, lots of change, but also love the monthly repetitive structure. :-) Glad to hear you've found a place that is supportive of you, and sorry to hear you got sacked for just being yourself. 

These insights are really helpful, thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I know it's going to take a while to get the hang of, but I definitely feel it would be a good life skill to have, not just for work. 

Super impressed with the juggling - that skill i hard to learn in itself! 

I think I will look a putting a crib sheet together with my boss so I have a structure to follow. :-)

• I found having a few written scripts, not necessarily in great detail, designed to cope with most scenarios, helped with the anxiety. I was selectively mute as a small child and having a written script handy takes the dread of suddenly not knowing what to say away.

• work full time as a copywriter

Congrats! I'm a content writer as well. Considering the ASD difficulties, you're doing really well to have a copywriter role, I got sacked from some of my copywriting positions due to my inability to "emote". Although I didn't know I was autistic at the time, which didn't help. 

I also find these business phone calls very difficult, but the more you do them the easier they'll get.

As with many ASD things, it helps if you get a routine in place. Prior to a call listen to some music you love, have some herbal tea (mint or whatnot), juggle a bit (I find juggling calms me down, it's a good skill to have). That way you can condition yourself to take the nerves off what's ahead.

And be prepared for each call, know what questions you'll ask. 

Talk slowly, too, that'll keep the pace of the call down. And don't be afraid to ask people to repeat themselves if you've missed something. One of my big things is someone will say something and they my ASD brain will forget what it was and then I kind of just ramble and hope my response makes sense.

You can cut that out by asking questions!

Hope it goes well.