Self-love

Whenever I would hear the saying "no one's going to like you if you don't like yourself" or "if you don't love yourself, how are you gonna love yourself", I used to reject it instantly. I would be like "how dare you suggest I'm unworthy of love" or something. 

I think differently now, as I get where it comes from. I know that I'm not the most fun to be around at the moment in what I would probably describe (if pushed) as a deep depression, although I'd more comfortably describe it as me just suffering the consequences of my own actions.

It did make me think though. My problem is I don't know the difference between self-love and arrogance. I'm so scared I'll come across as cocky and full of myself, so I go to the other extreme instead because it's more comfortable.

I've fully convinced myself that if I ever said "I'm proud of myself", the people around me would be like "you're so up yourself". Therefore I don't say it at all.

Dunno, I'm intrigued if there's anything that has worked for people and whether you see a change in how people respond to you if you start doing it.

Parents Reply Children