Learning to cope alone?

Hello all, 

I hope you're all well. 

I have a quick question, i am 31 and Autistic. I work, but struggle with the most basic tasks, that a friend or outsider would shake their head that i struggled with this. 

I struggle with basic tasks, cooking, taking medication, personal hygiene. My mum helps me to keep on top of things and truth be told, with out her, i would be screwed. 

My question is (this is me forward thinking): What do people do when their support system or support person either ends, runs out, dies etc and you are left alone to navigare the world alone. 

As we all know, we all love a good routine and i personally like to plan things, so what i am asking is, have people done things/put plans in place when still with family for when they're eventually on their own? 

Best, 

Parents
  • I am alone, apart from the dog.

My life is constructed around routines, and the basic premise that things will stay the same, more or less.

I struggle when things change and the balance of things is changed. I have been thrown by the freezer breaking - and although it will be resolved by a new one, it's still disruptive, which feels like a big thing, to me.

At these times, I sometimes wish there was someone to help, or support me. But in reality I don't think I'd cope with another person. 

• That is ASD for us Pegg.
    A mixture of contradictions and mental confusion we cant't decipher.
    I get you.

• Yes, I desperately want a partner and I really worry about what will happen to me when I get old and frail or sick, but at the same time I honestly don’t know if I have the energy or emotional room for another person in my home.

• Well if you both get old and frail together then you can both support each other.
    Sounds like if you had another person in your home you would both have to be a mirror image 
    of each other, but even then, i suspect you would prefer your own space and company in your own safe bubble.

Reply Children
No Data