Adulthood

Hello, I turned 18 a few months ago, and as you do when you grow up, you have increased responsiblities. As i've gone through my life I've learnt to drive (I still need to try and pass the second time), gotten a job, and understood why I act the way that I do (I was diagnosed as autistic 4 weeks ago now), all of which I thought I would struggle with, but the realisation of the huge change that comes with adulthood has hit me as I am going to university in September if I get the grades I need for it. 

I am not living alone at the moment, but I will do when at university so I can get the independence I want to push myself to be a responsible adult rather than living with my mum. Despite the fact I am not currently paying bills while I complete my A-Levels, only my phone bill, I am bombarded with the things I need to do and feel overwhelmed. I have to study for my exams (which will include so much in the final ones), I really want to pass my driving test this second time because it's unfair for my parents to pay for a car to practice in (I feel extremely guilty), and unmasking my autism has led me to grow apart from family and previous friends because I am no longer forcing conversation if I feel I can't contribute anything.

The friendship aspect really upsets me as I will be completely by myself at university with no one there I know, and I struggle with change, but I will try my hardest to mask until I can find friends that I connect with, and pay bills at the same time. I need to look into how to manage money (Martin Lewis has been reccomended), but I feel overwhelmed by everything else I need to do and also want time to rewind after being overstimulated at sixth form practically every day. I feel like a failure even though I have been diagnosed and am putting in sensory aids (headphones, fidget toys) and plans/checklists for every day to help me. I feel like i'm never doing enough and that i'll struggle being an independent adulthood until I can learn to adapt to the change.

If you have read this long post, then thank you. 

• You only have a set amount of energy before you run out, so don't be so hard on yourself. Just concentrate on your grades and the driving test for now. And many, many people don't get the driving test on their first try, it's almost expected that they'll need to try again. It gives you more practice until you get your license. And you could pay your parents back sometime in the future, I mean you're 18 right now,  you have probably 80 years more, so it gives you plenty of time to not only pay your parents back, but to spend time with people, learn independence, and so on.

• Howdy! There's this post on NAS you may find useful: https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/transitions/scotland/starting-college-or-university.

Couple of stories for uni tips: https://www.ambitiousaboutautism.org.uk/about-us/media-centre/blog/making-move-university

And maybe consider adding this to your phone if you feel comfortable showing people: https://www.jamcard.org/. Might help in certain situations. 

I found uni tough going at first, I'd been there for a few months at this point 20 years ago. I didn't really fit in with my first bunch at halls, then I moved to a new section and that set up my next 3 years with a good bunch of people. To be honest, it was a blast and I had a great time. 

It'll get easier as you get older. And there'll be other autistic people at the uni, maybe try and connect with them? Or find a crowd of people with the same interests as you.

Just stay focussed on your studying for now. 

And then before joining uni, whichever one it is, speak to them about initiatives and support systems they have in place for people with ASD. For a strart, there'll be other autistic people there. But you'll find your crowd! You just have to push yourself a little bit every day.

And keep in mind uni is scary at first for everyone. 

• Hi there and welcome to the forum. My biggest observation from reading your post is that you sound like a throughly decent, sensible person with your head screwed on the right way. More so than most people your age.

You shouldn’t feel guilty about not passing first time. Loads of people take longer (I passed on the 5th attempt!).

I won’t kid you that growing up or going to university is easy, especially with autism in the mix, but it can be done. I managed it and so did many others on this forum.