Autopia! My creation of an online autistic community!

Hi neurokin! 

Thanks so much for our discussion earlier about creating another online autistic community which is entirely autistic led! I have started to create an initial forum using Proboards (which was kindly suggested to me) with different topics.

Here is the link if you are interested:

https://autopia.freeforums.net/board/1/general-discussion

Any feedback?

What do you think about the topics I have created?

Thank you!

Obviously I will continue to develop and work on it but I am just looking for initial thoughts.

Parents
  • Hi neurokin!

I have added another discussion board to the Autopia forum specifically for AUDHDers!

• Thank you! 

Your community looks really good so far - good range of topics, nice layout and I love the name you chose for it Blush 

Will you be allowing medical advice/questions/talk? It's something I see mentioned here regularly but not allowed because of the rules.

• You are so welcome. I am so glad you like it! I have included a discussion about co-occurring experiences which is likely to include health conditions so maybe.

Another thought if I allow discussions about medical advice, I am not sure how I could moderate this as members of the public may not be able to give reliable medical advice.

However, sharing lived experiences related to accessing healthcare, taking medication and health conditions should be ok.

I hope this message makes sense to you!

• Occasionally we luck out and discover something useful without the help of a qualified professional.

I don't doubt that but I am not sure how to ensure people give safe and trustworthy medical advice, so it seems safer to avoid that all together. Sharing lived experiences about medical care is ok though.

I hope this makes sense.

• Some of us are born to experiment and try things.

Occasionally we luck out and discover something useful without the help of a qualified professional.

Then NHS plainly do NOT have all the answers, so there is room for people to contribute if it's managed right. there needs to be a voting system, so that if someone publishes something novel that works people can add verification and similarly if someone posts guff, then it needs to be shot down as quickly as possible. 

There are techniques and attitudes that mitigate the worst of Autism, and who better to investigate them than US??

• Some of us are born to experiment and try things.

Occasionally we luck out and discover something useful without the help of a qualified professional.

Then NHS plainly do NOT have all the answers, so there is room for people to contribute if it's managed right. there needs to be a voting system, so that if someone publishes something novel that works people can add verification and similarly if someone posts guff, then it needs to be shot down as quickly as possible. 

There are techniques and attitudes that mitigate the worst of Autism, and who better to investigate them than US??

Children
  • Occasionally we luck out and discover something useful without the help of a qualified professional.

I don't doubt that but I am not sure how to ensure people give safe and trustworthy medical advice, so it seems safer to avoid that all together. Sharing lived experiences about medical care is ok though.

I hope this makes sense.