Do you like your birthday?

I'm not a fan of them. Even as a little girl I never got excited for my birthday, in fact the weeks leading up to it were always filled with dread and this is something that's never changed.

My birthday is next month and I'm already dreading it. People keep asking me what I want, should we do a party, am I excited...

It must sound like I'm not grateful, I actually am grateful for the thought and care but as with every year I just want to stay in my room and wait for the day to be over. Everyone fusses and the majority know I don't like my birthday or celebrating but they do it anyway.

If it was a quiet occasion it would be much better and I wouldn't have such a big problem with it but it's never a quiet occasion and by the end of the day I'm always exhausted and nearing a meltdown.

There's still a month to go but I'm anxious already. If I'm really lucky they will forget it this year and I can carry on like normal.

Parents
  • Not fan of my birthday as in my 40s now. Every year, I get asked what you would like? 

One year, another relative had this stupid idea to send me a cheque so I can do a hiking holiday (covid is still around) or a residential training course. I said no. "Trying to plan for my future."

Also, my household nearly forced me to go to a book binding workshop, said no, and got nasty towards me. Said that wish didn't have this conversation in the first place and tried to plan for my future. 

Now, I go to a community group about twice a month. Really enjoy going as met some nice people get on with the task.

• Not fan of my birthday as in my 40s now. Every year, I get asked what you would like? 

One year, another relative had this stupid idea to send me a cheque so I can do a hiking holiday (covid is still around) or a residential training course. I said no. "Trying to plan for my future."

Also, my household nearly forced me to go to a book binding workshop, said no, and got nasty towards me. Said that wish didn't have this conversation in the first place and tried to plan for my future. 

Now, I go to a community group about twice a month. Really enjoy going as met some nice people get on with the task.

Children
  • I'm really sorry your family turned nasty when you said no. Mine never turn nasty but do go ahead and do stuff even when I say I don't want to.

I think they think by forcing it on me I'll adjust and will end up enjoying it, which as well all know isn't the way it works at all.

Your group sounds great for you. I hope you continue to enjoy it. I go to a local disability group which is actually good fun and also comforting knowing I'm not the only one who's disabled.