Overwhelm, fatigue and acceptance

Today i just cant get my act together. Between walking my dog i am getting back into bed. I wouldnt say that i feel tired, but fatigued and a sense of overwhelm. In the past i would battle with this, but now knowing that i am autistic, i accept it and see it as a time for the need to rest. It feels a little like giving in, but i then realise it as a necessity to keep myself feeling just ok. I used to work full time. My ability has reduced. Do you think this is common for those of us over 50? I pick and plan my activities carefully in a wsy that i can manage, it seems essential to managing my life x

Parents
  • Sounds similar to what hit me in December Tulip, albeit it sounds like you're experiencing it worse than I did. It wasn't that I *couldn't* do things, just had zero motivation or desire to do them, no matter how much I knew they were necessary (e.g. employment).

First things first - be kind to yourself and don't feel guilty or embarrassed about it. I've always lived by the mantra "whatever you feel is not wrong"; no-one can ever tell you your feelings aren't correct.

I'm currently re-evaluating what I want to get from life - diagnosed just before I hit 40, I've spent the last however many years telling myself that promotions, payrises and the general capitalist way of living is the way to measure success, but recently placing a lot more emphasis on happiness.  So if, for you, that's a day in bed, so be it!

Hope you find a route out soon, but don't put too much pressure on yourself.

• This happened to me in December 2020 and I've been battling chronic burnout ever since, but I'm not giving in yet.

However....

I'm currently re-evaluating what I want to get from life - diagnosed just before I hit 40, I've spent the last however many years telling myself that promotions, payrises and the general capitalist way of living is the way to measure success, but recently placing a lot more emphasis on happiness. 

I agree with this so much. I've focussed so much on my career and I have done incredibly well by any normal measure, but it really hasn't brought me happiness. I'd happily take a 50% pay cut in exchange for a partner and a circle of friends (I don't mean buying them, you know what I mean). I need to start focussing more on my personal life and on myself and less on a corporate ladder that you can never reach the top of anyway.

• Great to hear you agree, but sad to hear you've been battling burnout for 3+ years now.

The way I explained it in the diagnosis process was that I'm lucky enough to be able to make it a certain way up the ladder without my symptoms / traits getting in the way, and that's afforded me and my family a reasonable lifestyle.

But the higher up the ladder I've tried to get, the more abstract and vague my thinking has to be (e.g. having to design a 3-year strategy for my part of the business, starting with a blank sheet of paper!!) and I simply struggle to deal with the imprecise, "no right / wrong answer" kind of thinking and it leaves me exhausted.

• even though I feel massively guilty for not achieving anything in those unproductive times.

Absolutely. It makes me feel like a fraud or like I just don't measure up to other staff.

Perhaps we're being too hard on ourselves. It's a classic autistm/ADHD mode of working and if our employers are getting the results they need we shouldn't feel guilty about it.  Easier said than done...

• That's really interesting to hear because that's exactly how I feel - I procrastinate a *lot*.  But then give me a spreadsheet-based task and I can power through for hours, achieving in an hour what takes some people a whole day, and I get told that I'm doing well, even though I feel massively guilty for not achieving anything in those unproductive times.

I'm trying to be more conscious of that going forward - putting in breaks / walks in my diary as well as focus time, but - as expected - my times for being hyperproductive / unproductive don't appear to like being scheduled.

• That's really interesting to hear because that's exactly how I feel - I procrastinate a *lot*.  But then give me a spreadsheet-based task and I can power through for hours, achieving in an hour what takes some people a whole day, and I get told that I'm doing well, even though I feel massively guilty for not achieving anything in those unproductive times.

I'm trying to be more conscious of that going forward - putting in breaks / walks in my diary as well as focus time, but - as expected - my times for being hyperproductive / unproductive don't appear to like being scheduled.

Children
  • even though I feel massively guilty for not achieving anything in those unproductive times.

Absolutely. It makes me feel like a fraud or like I just don't measure up to other staff.

Perhaps we're being too hard on ourselves. It's a classic autistm/ADHD mode of working and if our employers are getting the results they need we shouldn't feel guilty about it.  Easier said than done...