Anthropomorphism

I found the meme below the other day and it occurred to me that I do have a habit of talking to inanimate objects and treating them like they are sentient beings.

It never occurred to me that this might be an autistic thing though. Do you do this?

Parents
  • I did genuinely used to think that toys would talk when I'm not there. Yeah, like Toy Story. Smiley

That phase didn't last, thankfully...

• I still kind of think that. I know they dont actually talk but I feel like they probably communicate telepathically 

About toys though, I try to keep them in the best condition (I think I care for my stuff more than I do myself..) and I try to make sure that each one is loved the same amount so they dont feel bad about themself or lonely. They each have assigned seats on my shelf and they are placed to have the most space and comfort I can give. I used to have a chart next to my bed so I made sure to sleep with each toy an equal amount. Then whenever I have to sell a toy then I have to take about 20 min alone with it and I tell all the things I loved about them and remind them of the joy they brought me, I tell them how im sorry that I am abandoning them and that they dont deserve it but its probbaly better this way and that they will meet a new kid who will love them just as much (hopefully but I try not to be negetive) and then I just hold them up to my heart close my eyes and let all the love I possibly can to send it to my toy for its travels and new life. 

• I can feel horrendously guilty about having to get rid of things or if they become damaged.

Reply Children
  • I know right! I used to keep absolutly everything, every peice of paper, rock, pen, toy, clothing, just any random thing I created an emotional attachment to. My mom got me 3 huge bins that were all overflowed with stuff that I just wouldnt throw away. But then after something that happened at the end of 8th grade, I kind of got more of ocd tendencies (not sure if its actual ocd though) and I got rid of nearly all my stuff. I hated doing it but now if something no longer fits then I need to get rid of it - at least out of my room, if I really want to keep it then I just put it in my moms closet and then its her problem lol. But everything has its spot and when I get new stuff its kind of anxiety indusing because that means I have to rearrange my whole room or get rid of something. Even my dresser has everything sorted. I have 2 shirts of each type and I have 8 types. If I get a new shirt then that means I have to get anouther of the same type then replace a type I already have. My dad got me a new shirt a few months ago but then I gave it to my sister because it just wouldnt work with my system.