Joining clubs, classes and groups

My therapist has repeatedly encouraged me to join some kind of club or a meetup group or do a class to get me out of the house and meet people, maybe even make some friends.

I see the point and there are classes I would find interesting, but the thought of going to one of these by myself is just too daunting. I find it difficult not to assume people tend to join these things with a friend and I don’t want to be the weird guy on his own.

Have any of you gone to these things by yourself? Do people really do that?

Parents
  • I have done all kinds of groups and classes over the years. Most of them I went on my own and many other people started going on their own. Often It was attend, then later on bit by bit get to know people in stages. Have done 

Drama 

Journaling

upcycling

Art

Craft

Neurodivergent Spirituality

Meditation

One of the best for me was A Philosophy class. It was therapeutic in a sense of encouraging to be free thinking. 

It can be a bit nervous at first but the fear did ease. 

Walking groups can be good in that there was no obligation to chat but could just chat a bit now and then with who I was walking close to.

I am also a cafe addict. It can be nice to sit at a table on my own but with people around. However I have got to know one or two regulars. 

• I am also a cafe addict. It can be nice to sit at a table on my own but with people around. However I have got to know one or two

This has always been important to me....but when i found myself totally "down"....it was the main way that i eased myself "back out there."  It is an excellent way for me to feel connected to other humans, simply by being around them.

• I used to do that. I remember at one point a used to make a point of leaving the house once a day.  And sitting in a Cafe would always occupy one day of my week.  Public Libraries are good for just quietly being around others also.

• I used to do that. I remember at one point a used to make a point of leaving the house once a day.  And sitting in a Cafe would always occupy one day of my week.  Public Libraries are good for just quietly being around others also.

Children