Joining clubs, classes and groups

My therapist has repeatedly encouraged me to join some kind of club or a meetup group or do a class to get me out of the house and meet people, maybe even make some friends.

I see the point and there are classes I would find interesting, but the thought of going to one of these by myself is just too daunting. I find it difficult not to assume people tend to join these things with a friend and I don’t want to be the weird guy on his own.

Have any of you gone to these things by yourself? Do people really do that?

Parents
  • I haven't done anything on my own for a long time. In the past I've tended to join clubs or classes, gone for a week or two, and then left. I just find getting to these things challenging, even if I do sort of enjoy it when I get there. I'm not a member of anything at the moment.

It's funny this should come up because in Cornwall we have this group called "Quiet Connections" which is meetups and activities for quiet, introverted and shy people. I understand some of the members are autistic. There's no expectation that you will speak or contribute, you can turn up a crochet or read a book if you like. I like the sound of it. The nearest one to me is about 15 miles away which is a bit of a pain, but I'm thinking about giving it a go. I don't know if groups like this exist elsewhere.

Welcome to Quiet Connections • Quiet Connections

• I haven't done anything on my own for a long time. In the past I've tended to join clubs or classes, gone for a week or two, and then left. I just find getting to these things challenging, even if I do sort of enjoy it when I get there. I'm not a member of anything at the moment.

It's funny this should come up because in Cornwall we have this group called "Quiet Connections" which is meetups and activities for quiet, introverted and shy people. I understand some of the members are autistic. There's no expectation that you will speak or contribute, you can turn up a crochet or read a book if you like. I like the sound of it. The nearest one to me is about 15 miles away which is a bit of a pain, but I'm thinking about giving it a go. I don't know if groups like this exist elsewhere.

Welcome to Quiet Connections • Quiet Connections

Children