The power of words

During my early twenties, I did an assertiveness training course. Part of the course focused on the way we communicate with other people and the choice of words we use.

Since becoming a member of this Community, I have observed that when members have a difference of opinion and discussions get heated, they will sometimes state their personal opinions as though they are facts.

For example, let's imagine that I consider someone to be a truly despicable person, and I say, "You are a vile person!" It comes across as though I am stating a fact. Therefore, if the person it is being said to gets defensive and responds negatively, one can hardly blame them.

However, if I say, "I think you are a vile person!", then it makes it clear that I am merely expressing MY opinion of that person. By using the words, "I think" at the beginning of that statement, I am owning that statement and accepting responsibility for it.

Does this make sense?

Parents
  • In psych class we learned that females use hedges, disclaimers, and tag questions more than males do. I think saying "I think you are a vile person" is probably one of those hedges disclaimers or tag things (im not 100% what they all mean though). 

• In psych class we learned that females use hedges, disclaimers, and tag questions more than males do. I think saying "I think you are a vile person" is probably one of those hedges disclaimers or tag things (im not 100% what they all mean though). 

Children