Where's the off switch? There isn't one.

One of the biggest difficulties I have is monotropic thoughts and when I'm feeling overloaded it's harder to deal with. It's absolutely useless thinking but I can't stop. I've noticed these thoughts offer a degree of certainty. Not about the situation itself but for my own head. As in, it knows what it's going to be thinking about.

What I've been faced with in the past is very unexpected change in direction and then my brain doesn't know what to do with itself. I've had slight experience of that recently which has been a welcome break but also left me feeling off.

I meditate every day. I take supplements. I accept the fact it's how my brain is. I allow it to wander freely where it wants to and understand "thoughts are just thoughts". It's not going to run out of steam of its own accord. I've faced the nature of these thoughts time and again through life. Now I know what's going on it doesn't help except I feel less confused. Ive read other threads and know there's other people like this. I try to keep myself busy but other health matters impede on this. 

I'll probably delete this after I've posted it like I always do. There's nothing anyone can do I just needed to get it off my chest.

Parents
  • I'm glad you made this post. I relate to this a lot. My thoughts are all over the place, always seem to be racing and give me little peace. My brain seems to have a mind of its own, does what it wants when it wants.

Generally there's so much going on in my head it's like being in a busy supermarket and can't hear myself think, or make sense of anything that's going on.

I hope your meditation is helping, even if it's only a small help. I hope you feel better after writing the above, sometimes I find writing out stuff can help get a lot off my chest.

• I'm glad you made this post. I relate to this a lot. My thoughts are all over the place, always seem to be racing and give me little peace. My brain seems to have a mind of its own, does what it wants when it wants.

Generally there's so much going on in my head it's like being in a busy supermarket and can't hear myself think, or make sense of anything that's going on.

I hope your meditation is helping, even if it's only a small help. I hope you feel better after writing the above, sometimes I find writing out stuff can help get a lot off my chest.

Children
  • On reflection, Ive learned from the above how much feeling overloaded can have an effect on processing. I might chalk the sbove up as another 'warning sign' of approaching burnout.

Meditation has had a positive effect and 'results' speak for themselves. I'm not preaching about it as it's up to people what they choose to do but I think it's one of the single best things anyone can do regardless of their brain wiring. Our brains have plasticity. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8rRzTtP7Tc

It isn't a miracle cure... it is often still struggle.....sometimes we have to roll with it and take the rough with the smooth.

I like this. I think it can also come down having difficulty prioritising thoughts. Everything shouts in my head at the same volume - LOUD. 

I see you are new. Welcome!